Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: Squid or Not
Yes
52.43%
No
47.57%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Squid or not

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 01:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Squid or not

Squid or not:

Your riding at 30mph to a friends house which is 5 miles away. You take your bike and the only gear you have on is a helmet. The clothes your wearing are shorts, shirt, and shoes.

So squid or not?

Old 05-30-2010, 02:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude atleast throw a pair of jeans and a hoodie on. thats what i ride in most the time. and gloves save the hands a bit. i just use mechanics gloves. or my si assault gloves.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:11 PM

I say yes, but not based on the lack of gear. Heck I'm sure most of us has done that. However why are you ONLY going 30mph on a open road im sure the speed limit is higher.
Just something that seemed out of the ordinary

Old 05-30-2010, 02:37 PM

well i got flamed for saying i wear jeans, tshirt, gloves, helmet most of the time here in florida -- so with the shorts id say your a step higher on the squid meter.

however, i could give a **** less about name calling. if you want to protect yourself, good. if not, prepare for consequence. simply put

Old 05-30-2010, 02:50 PM

Just seeing what people think about it. Personally I see nothing wrong with it. Local roads around here are 30mph. I can run 20mph. I don't have a helmet on when I run yet I do when I ride. Seeing what or how people judge one another on something like this. If one were to be a squid on this then every hd owner and nobody with a full race suit would be classified.

Also when I do ride anything about 30mph. I wear a full leather jacket,gloves,helmet and my leather pants. Something that most people DO NOT do. Again seeing were people come up with there idea's.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:55 PM

crazily enough people on here do wear full race suits/boots for any time they get on their bike.

i personally think that is overkill and extremely inconvenient for a daily driver. my bike is my only transportation and there is no way i would "suit up" every time i hop on to go a block away to the store etc.

also, i dont recall having ever seen someone riding around town here in florida with a full race suit. most wear shorts. its just impractical for short trips.

Old 05-30-2010, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by andyriot
crazily enough people on here do wear full race suits/boots for any time they get on their bike.

i personally think that is overkill and extremely inconvenient for a daily driver. my bike is my only transportation and there is no way i would "suit up" every time i hop on to go a block away to the store etc.

also, i dont recall having ever seen someone riding around town here in florida with a full race suit. most wear shorts. its just impractical for short trips.
The crazier part is the people on here that says they wear full gear also says they dont speed on public roads .

Dude wear wtf you want who gives a $h!t what people think. BUT PLEASE WEAR A HELMET PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-30-2010, 04:38 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i voted no, but i usually (not always) wear thick jeans, jacket, boots, helmet, and gloves, and i live in florida.. its really hot, and inconvenient, so i totally understand why most people dont. my bike is pretty much my only form of transportation, and sometimes it doesnt make much sense to me to that it takes longer to put on and take off all of my gear then it does to ride where im going.

and i can't stand all the name calling. people need to realize that the same rain soaks all of us, the same cold weather chills all of us, and the pavement will do the same thing to all of us. so why be so elitist as to call someone a squid because they're not wearing a jacket? bikers tend to be the only people who look out for other bikers, and it p*sses me off that a lot of us are quick to throw eachother under the bus for stupid things like jeans vs. shorts.

but damn!? you can run 20 mph? ...nice

Old 05-30-2010, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Conrice
i voted no, but i usually (not always) wear thick jeans, jacket, boots, helmet, and gloves, and i live in florida.. its really hot, and inconvenient, so i totally understand why most people dont. my bike is pretty much my only form of transportation, and sometimes it doesnt make much sense to me to that it takes longer to put on and take off all of my gear then it does to ride where im going.

and i can't stand all the name calling. people need to realize that the same rain soaks all of us, the same cold weather chills all of us, and the pavement will do the same thing to all of us. so why be so elitist as to call someone a squid because they're not wearing a jacket? bikers tend to be the only people who look out for other bikers, and it p*sses me off that a lot of us are quick to throw eachother under the bus for stupid things like jeans vs. shorts.

but damn!? you can run 20 mph? ...nice
Lol thanks. I am 135-140lbs at 5'9. I wanted to play football and such but my weight would of killed me hahaha. When I did play football though with friends it was always fun when I would get a break away. I was told many many times to go into track and even the school's teacher would punish me fro not joining. In a quarter mile I did 52 seconds. Guessing with practice I could of gone down in the 40's

Old 05-30-2010, 05:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say no. I just went running today and its like 95 degrees. I wore my normal gear to ride to the area i ran. That includes gloves, riding jacket, pants, and boots. I wore my shorts under the pants. Well once i was done running i was so freaking hot that i made the choice to take the trip home in all my gear except the pants. I didnt like the feeling of being that bare though so i probaly wont do it again.

Other than that i think gear is more of a personal choice. No matter what though i always have my helmet, gloves, and pants. They days i dont wear my jacket are days when its 98 degrees and 99% humidity. Cant breathe.

Quick Reply: Squid or not