Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Some reading but so worth it!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 04:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some reading but so worth it!

(Because clearly millions of you need to be told)
EYES:
You have two of these, normally located in the front of your head. Use them. Don't just look, but see what's going on. You might spot someone else on the road other than you. I know that comes as a surprise, but there are other people entitled to share the same road space with you. Here's something else - get them tested. In the UK, a 2003 study found that 1 in 7 drivers who didn't think they needed glasses had vision so bad that their licenses could have been revoked.
BRAIN:
You should have one of these. Most humans are issued with one as standard. It's used for a lot of things, and is certainly capable of multitasking. When you're using your eyes (see above) to look in your mirrors (see below), use your brain to interpret the information. Very handy.
MIRRORS:
The shiny, reflective things in your car. You have at least one, and most modern cars have three. Interestingly, they're not for putting your makeup on, or adjusting your hair. They are in fact to help you use your eyes to see what's behind you without the horrible inconvenience of actually turning your head. Look in them occasionally, you'll be surprised at what you see.
INDICATORS:
You know those pretty little orange lights that light up the corners of your car? I hate to tell you, but they're not decorative elements put there by the designers on a whim. They actually have a purpose. For the 99.999% of us who can't read your thoughts, those are indicator lights, for you to use to indicate to us what you intend to do. They're operated by a stalk on the steering column - you should try them some time. Oh, and when you do, make sure you use them before actually turning. Like I said, most of the rest of us have trouble reading your mind.
STEERING WHEEL:
The big circular thing you hold on to when driving. Apparently, not many of you realise that if you turn this, your car will drift from lane to lane. Most often, you also haven't grasped the basic use of the indicators (see above) so the result is that you'll change lanes, probably surprising yourself, and certainly surprising everyone behind you because you didn't tell us you were going to do it. By the way, when you do this, that grating, scraping, crashing sound from the back of the car isn't "ordinary car noises" - it means you've hit someone.
BRAKES:
Now this is a complicated one. The middle pedal in your manual car, or the left pedal in your automatic, is there to slow you down, and even stop you. I mention this because it seems that when you've committed to a bonehead maneuver, and see the motorbike at the last minute, not many of you realise that pushing this pedal will make you stop. Often, if you stop, it will avoid the accident. You don't have to run into us you know - your car will stop if instructed to do so. I think the problem is that in order to use the brakes, you also need to engage your eyes and your brain at the same time, and for most of you, that does seem to cause some trouble.
CELLPHONES****************
Throw the ****ing thing away. You can't drive on a good day. Now you're trying to drive while clamping a cellphone to your ear and holding a conversation? I know I said the brain was multitasking, but you know that you can't do all this at the same time. Just throw it away. You're not that important, really - you aren't. And believe me, your phonecall isn't so important that you have to endanger everyone else on the road to take it.
"Sorry, I didn't see you"
This is the phrase that your brain will be desperately trying to get you to say, when you realise that your eyes didn't see the motorbike you just hit because you didn't use your mirrors, brakes or indicators appropriately, and were having an unimportant, inconsequential conversation on your cellphone. You'll step out of the car and find the motorcyclist and you'll be so desperately wanting to say this phrase that you'll not be able to hold back. It's

Old 04-09-2007, 05:49 PM
Retired Moderator
Default RE: Some reading but so worth it!

[sm=smiley20.gif]Good stuff tremble!

Old 04-09-2007, 08:12 PM
VP

is it wrong that I read brain "brian" and that I was confused that I didn't think I had one of those.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:36 PM

nice...some people need to read that and take notes...

Old 04-10-2007, 01:19 AM

+1 that was sweet, nice post [sm=icon_rock.gif]More people need to take the time to read this!

Old 04-10-2007, 01:58 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 fo sure, 3 times in the last week some crazy idiot has tried to kill me and my son by changing lanes right next to or in front of me(less than 3 feet). Everyone of the ****'s was on thier cell phones and did not even look to either side or check the mirrors. I know because I watch everybody around me. Luckilythe horn, brakes and throttle all work hella good so I can 1. hit the horn 2. either brake or speed way the heck up to get out off thier way. 3 hit the horn again. 4 call the cops on my handsfree kit. Uses no hands and is voice activated, so, verylittle distraction. 5. Horn one more time while the phone is dialing hoping to god the idiots will get the freaking picture, but not likely. 6. Get home and break something to let the adrenaline and testorone out.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:17 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM

awsome