Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Securing your bike in a storage unit????

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Securing your bike in a storage unit????

Ive got my 01 F4i Parked in a locked storage facility (the kind with lots of garages and an entrance code). Its got a bigass key lock on it, but i think it could still be snipped with bolt cutters.

Over the past few weeks, the facility has had units broken into twice. Im a bit nervous! Im weary to put another lock on my unit because it might attract some 'please break into me' attention. Is there any good way I c ould make sure my bike doesnt go anywhere if they were to get into the unit itself??

Any tips would be appreciated guys, thanks!

-Dave

Old 01-21-2006, 08:12 PM
Default RE: Securing your bike in a storage unit????

Probably one of the best solutions is to prevent anyone from knowing it's there - ie don't advertise the fact that you even have one, let alone where it is. From what I've read on various boards and forums, that's a popular model with thieves.. If you can, stack a bunck of boxes in front of it (even if you have to use empty ones) and cover it with a ratty looking old blanket - over your regular cover, so it's not seen when you open the door. Don't leave the door open any longer than absolutely necessary and if someone's around whose presence sets off your warning bells, walk on by. Tomorrow's another day.
There's probably nothing you can do to stop a dedicated thief who knows it's there and decides he wants it. The same with a browser - one who breaks in to see what there is to steal. It might help to install an alarm on the bike or the inside of the door that pages you when anyone even touches it. Do they have a watch person on the premises at night?
Terry

Old 01-21-2006, 08:19 PM

No person there at night unfortunately. Apparently they broke into several units the last two times this happened, and were only looking for boat motors. So theyd break in, and only take something if they found what they were looking for. Im basically looking for ways to make it a PITA for someone to move on me if they decided they wanted it. Chains through the wheels or something perhaps? Is there a different type of lock that is harder to break?

Old 01-22-2006, 01:05 AM

I still say my security system is the best!!! You look at my bike or car or even drive by my house and my dog is having a fit… although sometimes it gets on my nerves but then I remember he is just doing his job. Good boy, now sit.

Keyser Soze

Old 01-22-2006, 02:34 AM

For one, make sure you have full coverage insurance on that thing. Already had to go through that nightmare of being jacked. If you don't and you have home owners insurance its covered. As far as chains, it would always help, but feed the chain through your swingarm, NOT your wheel. If they want it bad enough and they know what there doing then it would take about 5 min. to remove that rear wheel. Attach the chain to something solid in the storage unit. If you plan on keeping it there for a while then I would even go to the extent of putting some anchors in the concrete and attach the chain to that. I know some of might think that is an overkill, but see if you feel the same when you come out one day and your baby is gone. Can't even begin to explain the feeling...Stay safe

Oh ya, ONGAURD is a good chain to get. You should be able to get it at any local moto shop.

Old 01-23-2006, 01:19 AM

if you really want to...you can always buy a lot of bricks n put it in front of the bike. so ur bike is actually behind a wall of bricks which would make it look like that there's nothing in there but just an empty space?? just a thought. Might be a PITA to do, but hopefully the theives wont know that the storage is 3 feet shorter. but bringing in the bricks might be a problem....

Old 01-23-2006, 09:57 AM

It would prolly be a bit easier for me just to design and launch a spy satellite to keep an eye on the unit Ill be drilling some anchor holes in the cement and chainging it down I believe. From what ive learned so far, the theives are after small items and havent taken anything that a person couldnt carry to this point. So hopefully ill be good. I had my bike and helmets in the unit, Ive got the helmets out just encase (dont want my carbon vemar getting swiped!!).

Old 01-23-2006, 12:08 PM

I would put it in the shed and then kick it over and set it on fire. That way they won't want it if they see it... Just kidding. You don't need to kick it over to set it on fire. No really. Doesn't full coverage cover theft? May affect your rates though if you turn in a claim.

Old 01-23-2006, 12:44 PM
Retired Admin

Ok so for about $150 bucks you can pick up a wireless cam to put in the unit. Set it up to turn onb during motion with a night vision option and record it. You can pick up a cam that will record over the web and had an interent connection so anytime you are home and nervious just goto the website the cam is hooked up to and check on your baby. And then let's just say they do break in and snag your baby, you've got them recorded. I am just a tech guy so I prefer wires to chain and concrete boring! LOL