Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Securing a bike to trailer.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Securing a bike to trailer.

It's me again.

I found a bike. I am gonna pick it up this weekend.

I have a trailer that Im gonna strap it down on. It's made out of the wire grid with the angle iron side rails all the way around about 16 inches high. It has a one piece huge tail gate which is also wire mesh.

Anyhow, what is the best way to securethe bike to the trailer? Kick stand down, or no.

Where should the straps go? I have 6 rachet straps.

Any other advice?

Thanks,

Cole

Old 04-01-2008, 04:25 PM
Default RE: Securing a bike to trailer.

Straps should go on the swingarm and on top of the tripple tree but not on the handlebars. You can connect your 2 extra to the sides of the frame if they are exposed. Keep the kickstand down.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:26 PM

Just put a strap on each handle bar and than put one through the rear tire. Leave the kickstand up.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:33 PM

since theyll be all low mounting points, triple tree to front corners, swingarm to rear corners, pas. peg to front corners. ratchet symmetrically.

Edit: ^^ which is basically what Nauree has already stated.

and check the hitch 5 times at least. Dont put a tarp or other ropes on or near the bike or youll be getting new paint. When you ratchet the straps back take the excess and tie it around the taught section, then cover the knot with duct tape so nothing has a chance to touch your baby.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talk about conflicting suggestions...I've read before not to strap directly to the handlbars, but the triple tree.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:40 PM

like so:
around the top of the forks/bars, and on the passenger pegs or rear subframe. Compress those forks and rear shock! If you do it right you should be able to get in a car accident and it wont budge. Once and a while during transport pull over and make sure the straps didnt loosen up on you. My bike started tipping and almost had a nasty incident, luckily i stopped(after a while...dam NJ highways in rush hour)n tightened the loose strap.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:42 PM

Exhibit B

Old 04-01-2008, 04:44 PM

Do I push the bike all the way forward to the front part of the trailer?So the front tire is resting against the rail.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:53 PM

doesnt really matter if its all the way forward or not but it cant hurt

Another thing is to make sure you have someone sit on the bike and bounce it a little to compress the shocks/springs like Redz said before, otherwise the first few bumps the bikes suspension will compress and the straps will loosen up

You can also look into something called the "canyon dancer" wich goes on the triple/handlebars to give you a secure mounting spot

Old 04-01-2008, 05:02 PM

Doesnt matter where the bike is on the trailer. Just make sure that shock and the forks are compressed as much as possible!! Do not use the tiedowns on the handlebars beause they will snap, go right to the knuckle where the handlebars connect to the forks.

Quick Reply: Securing a bike to trailer.