Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Rent a storage unit for 2 months?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rent a storage unit for 2 months?

So im going to be at college until may and i want to have my bike with me. I cant park it in my lot at school because i dont have a permit. I could park it in general parking but thats about a mile from my apartment and i dont feel comfortable with that. So i was thinking of looking into renting a storage unit for the next 2 months.

I found a place thats only about 2 minutes from my place and i can rent 5x10 unit with drive up access (think that is big enough?). To my surprise there wasnt minimum number of months commitment and the price is $52 a month which is lower than i thought. Additionally they are running a promo where the first month is free. They said over the phone that that applies even if i am doing 2 months (though ill believe that when i get the bill).

Do you guys think i should go for it? I think that that is pretty reasonable, though i prolly wont get anyy work done if i have my bike with me at school lol

Old 03-11-2009, 04:40 PM

Have to check to see if it's ok to store the bike with all it's fluids in it, some places wont let you store the bike unless everything is drained and stored off site. (gas, oil, coolant) It might be an insurance thing for them but idk.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:22 PM

^^^ good point i didnt even think of that, ill make sure i ask about that when i go check it out in person tommorrow

Old 03-11-2009, 06:25 PM

That sounds like a pretty good alternative. 5 x 10 is plenty big enough.

I would inquire about thier security though. Some places wont be held responsible for damage or if your bike is stolen. I've never liked that idea. I feel if Im paying them to store my bike, they should be resposible of anything happens while its under their care... so to speak. I had a friend that had his car in a storage over the winter. He went to pick it up and the roof of the building had been leaking. He had a ton water damage to the inside of his car as his windows were left down. He had to fight for over 2 years and a lot of money in a lawyer to get them to pay for it. In the end, it would have been cheaper for him to just pay for it himself. granted, your only talking about 2 months and your probably going to be there daily, but its something to consider.

Funny thing with my college. I have to have a permit for my car and truck. But I dont need one for my bike. they said they dont offer them for motorcycles and I can just park it anywhere. the only thing they said was if I see another bike in a parking spot, to try and park my bike there too if there is enough room.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:31 PM

i tried that last year, just parking it without a permit in a lined space and ended up with 2 tickets under my cover haha, though i did fight it and get them taken away

and also another good thing for me to ask about with the liability

Old 03-11-2009, 08:58 PM

If you get the unit, use one of those circle padlocks.

Attached Thumbnails Rent a storage unit for 2 months?-close-up-pad-lock-key_-283248sdc.jpg