Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Racing in the RAIN

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 08:58 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

pushrod v8's revving to 9 grand - ya nothing stock about that.

you know what else i noticed? anytime anything little happens, it brings a yellow flag. after the montoya incident , a few laps after they got started, two guys spun off into the grass. they immediately rejoined... but it still brought out a yellow flag.

guys high side right in front of each other in motorcycle racing, but no red flag unless something REALLY bad happens.

during the red flag in nascar, they were all on their phones trying to pick up twitter followers. and then, when they started racing, you could hear them talking on the radio about how so and so (another racer) picked up this many twitter followers.

wtf... its racing men! not high school drama hour

Old 02-29-2012, 10:22 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

i go on the "they should race in the rain" rant every season...

wouldnt have it been cool to leave the wall of fire going and run right through it? lol, THAT would have gotten ratings!

Old 02-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a suggestion - if you don't like NASCAR, don't watch it. That works for me with football, basketball, soccer, etc.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by DRam
Just a suggestion - if you don't like NASCAR, don't watch it. That works for me with football, basketball, soccer, etc.
i love all motor racing for what it is.

doesn't mean i can't critique it when i want.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:14 PM
July 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea I dont like NASCAR either and I def dont watch it.

The only thing I like about NASCAR is of course the huge crashes, and the techniques used like drafting at certain times, and when to pit in order to get a good position.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:01 PM

I respect NASCAR for what it is. I used to think it wasn't real racing and all that but in reality with all the cars being so similar advantage comes down to driver ability and luck. I'm sure it's not easy keeping a ton and a half of car at 200 mph from hitting the guy 3 inches to you're right. Hell I'd watch it if they raced more road courses. But I still find F1, touring cars, motoGP and WRC far far more exciting. I still can't figure out how they make a car with a tubular frame chassis and a plastic body weigh that much though.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:03 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Conrice
i love all motor racing for what it is.

doesn't mean i can't critique it when i want.
Critiquing is fine. Denigrating the fans and the sport goes a little far.

My post was aimed at those who, in my opinion, went beyond critiquing.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:15 AM
Nov 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by Kevwa451
I respect NASCAR for what it is. I used to think it wasn't real racing and all that but in reality with all the cars being so similar advantage comes down to driver ability and luck. I'm sure it's not easy keeping a ton and a half of car at 200 mph from hitting the guy 3 inches to you're right. Hell I'd watch it if they raced more road courses. But I still find F1, touring cars, motoGP and WRC far far more exciting. I still can't figure out how they make a car with a tubular frame chassis and a plastic body weigh that much though.
I was never a big fan of the roundy rounds but living almost walking distance from the Daytona track for so many years , you have no choice but to take some kind of an interest. And while its still not even close to my favorite form of the sport...you have to see it in person, stand in the wake of 50/60 cars blowing past you at nearly 200 miles per hour with the thunder of a dozen freight trains, to really appreciate the nuance of that specific genre. TV does it absolutely no justice what so ever.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by zaqwert6
I was never a big fan of the roundy rounds but living almost walking distance from the Daytona track for so many years , you have no choice but to take some kind of an interest. And while its still not even close to my favorite form of the sport...you have to see it in person, stand in the wake of 50/60 cars blowing past you at nearly 200 miles per hour with the thunder of a dozen freight trains, to really appreciate the nuance of that specific genre. TV does it absolutely no justice what so ever.
thats true. its just like nhra - on tv - its not all that fun to watch, but in person - holy **** - it's crazy