Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Racing in the RAIN

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 11:02 PM
July 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing in the RAIN

Saw this on Facebook.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:09 PM
Party Animal, ROTM June 2014

Buahaa!!! Love it!

Old 02-27-2012, 11:15 PM
July 2012 Ride of the Month

Hahah

Old 02-28-2012, 06:28 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

for real. and did anyone watch when they finally did get under way? they were drying the track when Gordon blew a motor and then montoya SLAMMED into one of those F350's pulling the jet motor and the whole thing blew up. another 2 and a half hour red flag. un believable.

saw this one on cf

Old 02-28-2012, 07:38 AM
Nov 2011 ROTM

On one hand I think its laughable but on the other hand, they can't keep it out of the wall when its dry so a wet race would never make it to lap 2.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:22 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

^ Well I guess the best driver would win then. They would look like real 'STOCK' cars out on the track. I'd love to see it.

Sunday when they called it at 5:00PM, I called my friend and said,"Hey they race MotoGP in the rain and those are motorcycles. Why cant they put some rain or snow tires on and go 70 MPH and let the best driver win?" He agreed.

When Tiger Woods was #1 he couldn't play in the rain. Someone else would win. He still can't play in the rain. LOL What are we suppose to do, stop the tournament because Woods can't play in the rain?

They play the Superbowl in any weather conditions. It's an even playing field.

Yes, the NASCAR boys (and girl) would hit the wall somewhat but they hit it now at 200 MPH. In the rain they would not hook up and hit it at a much lesser speed. Safer????...perhaps.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:00 PM

It doesn't help that nascars weigh somewhere around 3700lbs or something like that. It's the only form of racing I've ever seen that detests technology and common sense for going fast and excitement. Except for maybe horse racing but only in terms of technology. I'd much rather watch the Kentucky Derby over the Daytona 500 any day.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:05 PM

Why do they even call it STOCK car racing? Even the air in the tires is some exotic mix of 3 different gasses concocted in a multi-million dollar lab, the exact formula being top secret and guarded by Bubba's with 12 gauges and deer rifles!

OK. Not really. But, are there any stock parts on a Nascar car?
Not a big fan of the roundy-round cars.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:55 PM

From what I heard it's all about the left turns. they can't get the tread to stay on the tire because of only making left turns...or so I heard.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:44 PM
Nov 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by sparkman
Why do they even call it STOCK car racing? Even the air in the tires is some exotic mix of 3 different gasses concocted in a multi-million dollar lab, the exact formula being top secret and guarded by Bubba's with 12 gauges and deer rifles!

OK. Not really. But, are there any stock parts on a Nascar car?
Not a big fan of the roundy-round cars.

They havent been "stock" cars since the early 70's, unfortunately their not going to change the anacronym now.

There are zero stock parts on a cup car, in fact many 'models' raced today don't even exist in that form in the real world.

At one time, the sport was meant to be a drivers sport. Thats where its root came from. In the 60s and into the 70s manufacturers realized the massive sales potential of winning races on the now widely televised sport. As a result, the sport became a manufacturers contest in which they started building purpose built 'stock' cars with the only goal of winning races. This diminished the 'driver' and the possibility of competition. A side bar was it boxed out any new drivers without a major 'deal'. NASCAR finally decided to step in and create greater detailed standards for car construction that would keep things fair for all involved and also to help the safety side. "Stock" cars were never intended to go 200+ mph and they do not do it well. So thats were we are today and NASCAR is constantly chasing after those goals each new season. The trick is keeping race cars looking stock, that appeals to the typical enthusiast while allowing technology and safety to be fused in as speed exceeds the potential of a 'stock' looking car. Most other forms of racing are not restricted in that way and cars , like indy cars, look the way they do for one and only one reason, speed and handling with no compromise, ideally.

Quick Reply: Racing in the RAIN