Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

My girlfriend is giving me an ultimatum: her or the bike..

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 10:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had almost the same issue last year with my WIFE. She was very unhappy that I was out on my bike constantly. I was out riding as often as I could, (she worked second shift, so there wasn't much time out), but she thought I was out cheating, lol . She knows I have wanted a bike all my life, and now that I have one, she is happy. Just wanted me to spend a little more time with her, than with my "mistress". We came to a compromise, and when we can find a babysitter and get out together, she becomes a happy woman.

I would never give up something I love for anyone, but I am willing to compromise, somewhat. If she is "the one", I would figure something out, but giving up the bike would not be one. Like Regen stated, until she becomes the wife, she wouldn't really have a say in whether or not I kept the bike. Even then, though, the bike would still stay, just make compromises.

Good luck.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:48 PM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

My wife hates my bike... she hates motorcycle in general...

but she lives with it....

Old 03-23-2011, 10:50 PM

my current s.o. loves riding, only thing thats off limits is winghouse and hooters bike nights when shes with me lol. but i can deal with that. she wants her own bike but i keep telling her no because i see how carelessly she drives, id just be bad juju to have her doing the same on a bike. as for your situation, pretty much the same as everyone else said, your passion is YOUR passion. think about if some female told picasso he could have her or paint.....lol

Old 03-23-2011, 11:16 PM

Never understood how any girl could not like bikes...

I met my boyfriend when I got on the back of his. Now that I have my own I ride a lot more than he does. This is my thing now. He lets me ride, I let him golf. And when we ride together is great. I can't imagine being with someone who told me I couldn't do what I loved to do.

Is it because she's concerned for your safety or she just doesn't like motorcycles in general?

Old 03-23-2011, 11:18 PM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

my wifey and i have a 9 month old baby girl....

im super safe but shes just afraid someone else will do something stupid and leave my baby girl dadyless

Old 03-23-2011, 11:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by __Z__
my wifey and i have a 9 month old baby girl....

im super safe but shes just afraid someone else will do something stupid and leave my baby girl dadyless
Stupid ppl can take us out regardless if we're on a bike or not

Old 03-23-2011, 11:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My girlfriend jumps when I knock crap off the kitchen counter. Doesn't help she can't ride a bicycle and thinks people that can are using some type of evil magic. She'd prolly kill both of us, freaking out, the first time we leaned into a turn if she rode on the back. So, I pretty sure she doesn't like riding.

BUT she understands that I do. And she understands I won't give it up if she told me to, despite her probable terror at the thought of some of the idiots I have to share the rode with. So she supports my riding and allays her fears by buying gear constantly.

Pretty sure I could get a Dainese track suit out of her this year if I started hitting the track regularly. She already offered to buy track level boots for my first track day later this year.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:18 AM

I'm in a bit of an odd situation, because my main riding partner is my SO's father, and a family history with a certain bike.

27 years ago, with ~20 years of riding under his belt, he bought a CBR600F, an original hurricane. Brand new off the lot. It was the talk of his riding group. He heads back to his hometown after having it for a month or so, goes to his family's old street where everyone was hanging out. Nice straight stretch about 2 miles long with no streets entering/exiting other than one on each end. The road has a hill in the middle that's about 40 feet higher than the surrounding area. After some boasting about how fast it was compared to some cruisers that his family member had he decided to be a squid and show off. He goes off down the street, no gear, hauling *** at 100+. Unfortunately no one bothered to tell him that since the last time he had been there (a couple years) they had turned the road into a dead end on the other side of the hill and build a brand new hospital. He comes over the hill, sees the hospital, goes for the brakes, locks em up, lowsides the bike, and slides down the pavement into the hospital's brick wall. He hits the wall hard enough to crack the bricks, then the bike slams into the wall too. This gets a whole lot of attention.

He got lucky. He's mostly built of metal at this point, spent 2 years in a bed, 5 years in a wheel chair, 10 years doing physical therapy. He's still mostly built of metal, and still deals with the injuries, but he still loves to ride.

My SO has spent her entire life hearing the story, seeing the pictures of his recovery, watching the injuries he lives with every day, and listening to her mom talking about how she spent a year by his bed not knowing if he'd be alive the next day.

I've ridden in the past, but had a break after my Ninja got totaled in a parking lot and I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get another bike. One day I show up at the SO's house with a helmet in my hand. She completely loses it (sadness & worrying, not anger), then when she finds out I got the CBR600F4i, she goes off the deep end. The same bike (not exactly, but to a non-bike person one Honda 600CC sport bike is the same as another, even with 20 years of design between them) that put the family though so much hell.

I look at her mom, and she's laughing her F*ing head off. I can't believe it. I though she lost her mind. After a minute she stops laughing, walks over and hugs my SO. She whispers something in her ear, and they both start laughing. I later find out that she said "I got your dad to propose to me after I took care of him when he was in the hospital."

After that the SO calmed down. These days she likes me riding, I've been whining all winter about not being out there, and spending a lot of time in the garage getting the bike prepped, so she's glad to have me out of the house.

Wow… this turned into a bit of a rant. I think the point I was trying to make that if someone loves you, they love, or at least understand, that being on a bike is part of who you are. If someone can’t deal with this, then they don’t really understand who you are, and it will never work in the long term anyway.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:13 AM

Honestly - don't get involved with someone who is going to run your life.

Her telling you she is concerned about you owning a bike and worried about you getting hurt is one thing. Someone telling you that you "can't have one" or that she will leave if you get one is unacceptable.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my woman is begging to get on the bike

Quick Reply: My girlfriend is giving me an ultimatum: her or the bike..