Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

My first close call

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 03:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first close call

HOwzit!!

I was on the freeway going around 60. (I know some of your speedometers don't kick in till you hit 100) Any way I just got done checking my mirrors to see that no one is on my tail. I cannot believe how some people can drive right on my tail! So I have to ride around 60 sometimes 70 because if I go the speed limit the cars will just fly pass me. So it's out of survival that I go just as fast the the cars around me. Is this the right thing to do? I have not taken the motorcylce saftey course yet because it is backed up so I have to wait about another month. Like I stated before I am new to riding and never rode a perfomance bike. Oh yeah back to my first close call. I look over to my right and there is a truck front end right next to me!!!! I could have checked his oil or washed his windshield for him!! So I just opened up my 1000rr and I was gone! Yeah I know some of you think I am way out of my league riding a 1000. But here in Hawaii we have a saying "no get nuts!". I ride within my abilities and I don't push to where I cannot handle it. Like I was told before I got this bike, you can ride it like a 600 or you can ride it like a 1000. Any way since I cannot take the class yet I need to know the name of some good reading material out there.

Mahalo

James

Old 01-10-2005, 04:37 PM
Default RE: My first close call

Aloha and welcome,
What island do you live on? I lived on Oahu for about 3 years. First things first, you already know that you got too much of a bike to start out with. Alot of people would flame you for that, I won't. I will tell you that you need to ride within your ability. There are lots of situations out there that you can't prepare for. Even with the MSF things will still happen. When they do, certain things with riding have to be second nature so you will do them without even thinking about them. That comes with experience. Thats why alot of people start smaller. A smaller bike will be more forgiving then a liter bike if you make a mistake. A general rule of thumb is that a 600cc bike wants to kill you, a 1000cc bike will try to kill you. Keep that in mind. The MSF class will also cover alot of the basics that will help you in day to day riding. For the time being, try and keep your riding to empty streets and parking lots. Make sure you wear all your gear. Helmet, armored jacket, gloves, boots, and at least jeans. For reading pick up "proficient motorcycling" by david hough or "twist of the wrist", I forget the author. Most of your good book stores carry those books. Good luck and stay safe. I have known some good riders who have started out on 1000cc bikes. Although not reccomended, you just have to use your head and ride within your means as you learn.

Old 01-12-2005, 08:04 PM

Howzit,

Thanks for the info, by the way I live on Oahu, Kapolei to be exact. I did pick up twist of the wrist II. I used to live in Saudi Arabia so I know how to drive defensively. Just to give you an idea about how some people drive there, sometimes someone will turn left from the exteme right hand lane!! That's just one example but I won't get on to anymore because will take up way too much time typing. I even rode those scooters in Thailand that can go around 65 or more. There I can just weave through traffic and go between cars if I want too. Now that I have a permit, when I go back to Thailand I can rent some of the other performance bikes and try them out too. It's cheap to rent out the bikes too. Wow Thailand that place is the best, everytime I go there my smile becomes so much more bigger. You can party and get smashed and............ohh sorry just dreaming again. So any way it's not like I never been on some sort of bike before but not one with so much power. Here I am very careful! My friends like how you put the difference between a 600 and 1000, that was good. On reason why I got the 1000 was because everythime I went to look at bikes. I would talk to the people looking for bikes and all of them said the same thing. "Don't get the 600 because you going sell it later, so you better off buying a 1000." Any way I know a lot of you out there disagrees with what I got, but the fact is I do have one and I will need some advice from you folks from time to time. I can't give advice right now but I can give advice about Thailand.........ooppps there I go again.

Mahalo,

James

[IMG]local://upfiles/282/B4EF8C167BF14E418A2BEF6B03144419.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-13-2005, 05:06 PM

You sound like you are doing fine so far. Just keep on respecting the bike and don't forget about it's power. You will be ok. The MSF class will teach you alot. When I took the class there was a rider who had 18 + years riding experience. He learned new stuff. It's a fun class and designed for people who have never been on a bike, but includes plenty of good reminder info for the experienced rider. I plan on taking the advanced class in the next year.

You picked up a good book to start out with. Read it, learn it, and practice everything it talks about. So lets hear some of those Thailand stories

Old 01-29-2005, 12:00 AM

Howzit!

Been busy the last couple of days. Any way as far as Thailand goes, if you single go, if you married then you better take your wife or you can tell her you going around the corner store to get bread. Then come back after like a week!! Nah for real that is the best place I ever partied. It is a nice place to take your family too. Where else can you go and lay by the beach and get a massage for less than 30 dollars. The food there is excellent, the people are friendly, the girls there out number the guys. I think that they have some of the most prettiest girls I have ever seen. You can buy a bottle of Jack at the Hard Rock Cafe and you have your own bartender at your table to keep your glass full. It is cheap and there are a lot of things to do there.

Aloha,

James

Old 01-29-2005, 06:03 AM

Next time just slow down and kick a dent in his door.Then take off.JK
read another guys post one time and he ssaid he just kicked there door or "Slapped their rear view mirro off". Sounded like a bunch of crap to me.
I cant stand it when people insist on being right next to me on the highway. Or the safe following distance of about 3 feet.(1/2 foot per 10 mph)