Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Life line

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009 | 11:47 PM
|

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
I was already pre-warned about the PSI at the gun. I stopped by Home Depot and picked up an adjustable pressure regulator for $15. So I can open the compressor wide open and just regulate it at the gun. Your compressor is about the same as mine, cept I got a 5 gallon 4hp.

You're definitely giving me a lot of hope that this will all turn out alright. Any other tips you have I'd really appreciate. I'd have missed the chemical clear.
Im no pro at painting but mine turned out pretty good so ill give you my steps.

Sand all SFC to get it smooth. I had to use 60 grit to get my somewhat smooth.

After you get it to where you want it take 200-400 grit and sand it again. This makes finer less coarse lines. Better for painting.

Use a filler/primer for a coat or two. give it about 15 mins between coats. Use nice light and even coats. After your use the filler primer let it dry for a day and take 600-800 grit and WETsand. Messy but 100% better. You want to get the SFC as smooth as possible.

Let it dry and then use the auto primer. I used 3-4 coats. give it about 15 mins between coats. Let it dry for a day.

Wet sand with 600-800 grit jsut to smooth out any bumbs. Run your hand over it. If you feel your finger kind grab just sand that part.

Let it dry and then use a wax/grease remover over all the parts. Let it dry.

Apply the base coat. Light coats. I did 4-5 coats. Once again about 15 mins between coats. You should easily get 4 coats out of a can. If your on coat #2 and need another can that means your doin it way to heavy!

After you apply the base coats let it dry for a day or two.

DO NOT WET SAND WITH ANY GRIT AFTER BASE COAT!!!!!! I used a 2000 grit one time over the paint and it F'd it up.

What i did was take a rag with some wax/grease remover and rub all your fairings down. This will help smooth it out almost. If you have any splats you can sand them off and just shoot that one lil spot or just leave em like i did. I only got one or two lil splats. Pin heads almost.

If you wish to apply decals or a graphic you can do that before your clear it or after you clear it. I chose after since if i want to change it out i wont have to reclear it.

Let it dry and apply your clear coats. Once more give it about 15 mins between coats.

I did not do this step but wish i had. For the final coats of clear use something that can take gas, and other automotive chemical without messing up your paint.

Let the clear dry for a day or two and then use a cut/polish.

ENJOY

PS-Practice makes perfect. Use some card board to get the gun set to how you want it.You know that lil tail section on the back. I used that as my dummy peice. If i messed up it was small enough to sand and redo. Oh ya i never once got orange peel. I dunno if im lucky or what but never got it. haha

And use the filters for the gun. I cleaned the gun with paint thinner after the primer and didnt have the little filter thing in. The thinner takes the paint on the side of the bottle and turns it into a film that then gets clogged in your gun.

Thats all i have. haha Good luck

Old 10-08-2009 | 01:01 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

Looks great good job! painting can be a beyotch I primered an f4i once, lol never again

Old 10-10-2009 | 01:31 AM

you rock nice work