Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Your life...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 05:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Your life...

What do you and (if you have one) your significant other do for a living?

Are you doing what you want to be doing? If not, what is it that you would like to be doing and what is holding you back?

[hr]I am a Programmer, Database Administrator and Manager. I believe I am doing what I want to for a living (sort of). I would like to supplement my income through Real Estate investing, but that requires money and time. (I also secretly wish to be a game developer, but I really don't want to work those types of hours).

These questions actually popped in my head this morning.
Primarily:
Do I care what a prospective mate does?
Do I care if they have a profession or want one?
Do I care if they are content on doing lower end jobs for the rest of their life?

Old 01-02-2009, 05:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Your life...

I had a very nice *rate your life* thread awhile back, sad people trashed it because they hate happiness in others. That being said, I'm a Sr./Lead Engineer and my wife works in a bank doing accounting stuff.

We are very content and happy.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:21 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I am an RGN nurse, I got into it late in my mid 20s after my life took a whole different direction ... I havent worked since March last year though ..I hope to work as a district nurse when fit enough but I am in ill health lately

Jules

EDIT: yes, I loved being a nurse and hope to continue being one in the future!! :-)

Old 01-02-2009, 05:21 AM
November 2009 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Manager/Technician/Trouble -Shooter/Consultant in the Plastic Moulding industry.
Bike Rider/Gold Prospector when idle.
Partner has a Cafe.
Were peas in a pod,life is good.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:27 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Service writer / shop manager. I dont mind what i am doing for now.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:43 AM

I have been a boat engineer/technician the last couple years but now I am moving back to california and I will be on the job hunt for hopefulya mechanic position on boats or motorcycles. I am a younger guy that loves wrenching so yes I am doing what I like doing.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:58 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: TheX

I had a very nice *rate your life* thread awhile back, sad people trashed it because they hate happiness in others. That being said, I'm a Sr./Lead Engineer and my wife works in a bank doing accounting stuff.

We are very content and happy.
I recall this thread...I was one of the trashers, but it had nothing to do with "hating happiness in others." That discussion is done and over with though, so no need to re-ignite old forum flames...

I'm a systems administrator working under contract for the US Air Force. My main duties include Exchange admin, infrarstructure tech, Remedy TTS admin, and printer admin. I wouldn't go so far as to call the girl I'm currently seeing my "significant other" just yet, but she is a photography teacher.

Though I am content doing what I do (and very appreciative to have a somewhat stable income), it's not what I would have choosen for myself if I had to do it all over again. I'm a little bit stuck right now though, as I have invested a good amount of years working and training in the IT industry, and only have 9 more classes until I get my degree in this field. I suppose I can live with it though.

Overall, I have to agree with X. at 25, I'm happier in this phase of my life than I have ever been before.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:27 AM

Old 01-02-2009, 11:49 AM
Siggy Maker & All Round Good Guy

^^^ Kool. Is that one of those trucks with the rear trailer wheels that turn?

I have always wanted to be a demolition/heavy machinery operator. As it is i have spent the most part of my life partying and getting in trouble but like Jules, i am in my late 20's and the turn has begun. I have been going to college part time for my degree an will start the spring semester on the 26th of jan as a full time time student.
If i had it to do all over again i would have done better in grade school and i would be in the air force!

I think that any employment at this time is good employment.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:42 PM

My gf of 5 years and I just graduated from college in december, I got a degree in manufacturing engineering and she in K-12 special education as well as P-5 elementary education. No luck with jobs yet, I have my resume out to like 20 companies so far but getting on as an entry level engineer can be tough..everyone wants someone with a few years experience but I"m confident I'll get something soon. She's on substitute lists but likely won't get much until the new school year....special education teachers are in demand

My philosophy is that I work to enjoy the benefits of time off, insurance, and the money to do the things I enjoy. Mostly so I don't worry about bills so I majored in something I think I would enjoy like design, modeling, and whatnot as well as make a decent living

I care that she won't be doing low end jobs for the rest of her life because I've seen her at those jobs and she's just not happy but I've also seen her after a day of student-teaching and she is enthusiastic about it...I think that's very important in a relationship.

Alternatively I think I would love to flip houses for a living.

Quick Reply: Your life...