Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

LED light legality Massachusetts

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 11:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED light legality Massachusetts

Tried searching for it online and couldn't find a definitive answer, anyone know for sure if its legal to putled lights on the bike for night safety/cosmetics, i'm assuming it would just make blue and red illegal due to police and emergency colors.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:14 PM

Typically anything that isn't clear or amber. The biggest thing that will give you headaches more than color (in my experience) is if they flash or blink.

I had a cop give me a hard time because on my way to school one of my LED bulbs burned out and the other on the same circuit started to flash/blink irregularly. He thought I was doing it intentionally even after I explained that the one was bad and I had to get new ones.

Granted, all of my experience is in Ohio, but they probably don't vary that much. I am sure you could just go down to the local sheriffs office.

Keep in mind though that even if it is legal in the state an dor a particular county, the city can have different laws / statutes for it.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:22 PM

yaa I was going to stay away from anything that flashed or flickered, just wish I could go blue would look way too good, so white and or red will have to do thanks for the input bro

Old 08-12-2009, 12:47 PM

Here are the ONLY lights and the ONLY colors allowed for these lights in IL. I'm betting other states are similar:

Headlights\Fog lights: White, 5000-9300K. Not sure about lumens.

Turn signals: Amber

Running lights: Amber for sides, red for tail

License Plate: white

Brake lights: Red

And that's IT. NO other lights are allowed to be visible from the exterior of a vehicle, unless it is of a special class, such as Commercial (tractor trailer, tow truck can have additional ambers) or Municipal (police, fire, etc have red\white\blue).

I have never come across a municipality that allows "underbody" kits. I have, however, blasted past cops with mine on MANY occasions, and never had them give chase. If you DO get caught, it's only an equipment violation, so it won't affect your driving record (there is still a fine).

Old 08-12-2009, 08:59 PM

Dont do it unless you like safety police citations,trust me not worth it.reflective rim tape is alot less headache

Old 08-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyx
Here are the ONLY lights and the ONLY colors allowed for these lights in IL. I'm betting other states are similar:

Headlights\Fog lights: White, 5000-9300K. Not sure about lumens.

Turn signals: Amber

Running lights: Amber for sides, red for tail

License Plate: white

Brake lights: Red

And that's IT. NO other lights are allowed to be visible from the exterior of a vehicle, unless it is of a special class, such as Commercial (tractor trailer, tow truck can have additional ambers) or Municipal (police, fire, etc have red\white\blue).

I have never come across a municipality that allows "underbody" kits. I have, however, blasted past cops with mine on MANY occasions, and never had them give chase. If you DO get caught, it's only an equipment violation, so it won't affect your driving record (there is still a fine).
Looked hard into this. Pennsylvania DOES allow LED lights on motorcycles. Doubt I can have mine in strobe or breathe mode. But according to this, I can have them on steadily

Old 08-12-2009, 11:08 PM

I got pulled over years ago in ohio for having blue lights in my grill..... cop gave me a hard time but I had already called the state patrol and checked them out before installing them. He didnt right me a ticket but he told me to remove them before returning to town. I stopped and ate and as I left, he pulled me over again... told me he checked it out and blue was ok as long as it wasnt flashing......

Old 08-13-2009, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Rod38um
I got pulled over years ago in ohio for having blue lights in my grill..... cop gave me a hard time but I had already called the state patrol and checked them out before installing them. He didnt right me a ticket but he told me to remove them before returning to town. I stopped and ate and as I left, he pulled me over again... told me he checked it out and blue was ok as long as it wasnt flashing......
a cop admitted he was wrong?

Old 08-13-2009, 06:31 AM

LOL, it was a long time ago. I was 16 so............ damn why did you make me do the math!!! that was 28 years ago! Must have been before they did phsyc testing to weed out anyone with empathy or compassion.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:00 AM

Yeah I put a couple blue LEDs in the front of the MS6. Only time they came up (wasn't pulled over but cop came up to me at the gas station) was when the one burned out and the other started flickering.