600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

license plate legality

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 02:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default license plate legality

hey guys idk if this counts as a mod but i didnt know where else to but it!. anyways I have a 07 cbr600 and my license plate is right now on the swingarm on the left side. is this legal? does a license plate on a motorcycle have to be lighten up like on a car? thanks!

Attached Thumbnails license plate legality-bike-2.jpg  
Old 01-11-2010, 08:31 AM

im just gonna venture a guess and say yes that is illegal. I do know they do have to be lit up at night too.
Where are you from? it may differ from state to state but I got a 75$ ticket this past summer for "inproper display of plates" because mine could not be read clearly from the back. There are swingarm brackets that are made for displaying license plates though that will be legal

Edit: Beautiful bike by the way

Old 01-11-2010, 11:25 AM

I know in the state of ga, it is illegal to not have a light on the plate. It is also illegal to have the light tucked under, just over the tire hugger where it is difficult to see. So i can only imagine that its illegal to have on the swing arm also...

Old 01-11-2010, 12:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rules as I understand them are that the tag must be visible and legible from behind, which yours doesn't appear to be. (varying on specifics by state)

I'm going to go with illegal.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no thats not legal, depending on your state laws if you had one of those lame (MO) swingarm tag brackets, it may be legal then, then again I've only seen those with the tag vertical which isnt to readable to me, which would make it illegal too.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:06 AM
Banned

yea, totally illegal. Im in Alberta Canada, and according to the local friendly always friendly poe-poe, the plate has to be farthest to the rear as possible, with a light. 150 dollar ticket otherwise. Burn on me..every week. FAIL!

Old 01-12-2010, 12:23 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not legal in PA either:

Rear lighting.--Every vehicle operated on a highway shall be equipped with a rear lighting system including, but not limited to, rear lamps, rear reflectors, stop lamps and license plate light, in conformance with regulations of the department.
That's the definitely illegal part. Then there's the parts that'll be left to the officer's discretion (translation: grab the lube)
(b) Obscuring plate.--It is unlawful to display on any vehicle a registration plate which:
(1) is so dirty as to prevent the reading of the number or letters thereon at a reasonable distance;
(2) is obscured in any manner which inhibits the proper operation of an automated red light enforcement system in place pursuant to section 3116 (relating to automated red light enforcement systems in first class cities); or
(3) is otherwise illegible at a reasonable distance or is obscured in any manner.
Highly doubtful that plate can be read at beyond 1 car length or be captured in red light cameras. The cop will decide what's reasonable. And if they already pulled you over, they already decided to use you for their pleasure.

Summary offense, $100 fine

Old 01-12-2010, 11:36 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nope, not legal. First offense would be a "fix-it" ticket. This is easily rectified w/ mounting it properly, appearing at DMV for inspection, & cleared to go.

For some reason, at least in my experience, sportbikers tend to draw more fix-it type tickets than cruisers. I've seen many cruisers that have their plates mounted in all sorts of ways & never seem to have any worries. :\

Better safe than sorry.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:07 PM

its like reading a magic 8ball... all sources point toward no

Old 01-13-2010, 08:35 PM

mines like that too! although i just bought it yesterday. i was out today though and seen quite a bit of law, and didnt have any problems, but im not sure if any of them actually took notice. i asked the guy i bought it from if he has had any problems with leo messing with him and he said no, but im pretty sure he didnt have it on there for more then a week before i bought it. i was wondering how the lower part of your plate is held on, he just drilled a hole in the swingarm on mine.

Name:  SANY0949.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  160.1 KB

Quick Reply: license plate legality