New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Salvage titles and legality.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Salvage titles and legality.

Anyone who has searched Ebay has run across one of those cosmetically damaged, but otherwise in good shape, bikes with a "salvage title." My question to anyone who might know, are there difficulties with salvage titles as far street legality is concerned?(Insurance probs, inspection probs, etc)

There are some real steals out there with salvage titles. I'm trying to find any hidden factors that make buying salvage pointless.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:40 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy
Default RE: Salvage titles and legality.

i have no probelm buying anything that is salvaged as long as there is no frame damagae, forks are straight etc . now lets say that a bike was stolen and stripped of all the plastics, gauges, etc .. an insurance company would almost deffinetly salvage it out . so here you have a great bike (mechanically) but needs all the cosmetics... i see no problem in buying that bike

now CL and ebay are infamous for bikes that were "stolen" but recovered strippedand thats why they are salvaged.. its hard to prove people wrong (or right for thatmatter) without having any paperwork to prove their claims. especially with the way bikes trade hands (owners) . right now im riding a 00 honda cbr 929rr that is a salvaged title . nothing wrong with the bike but i have no cluewhy its salvaged imabout the 3rd owner that i know of.. does this worry me ? nope. ive had the bike checked out and its straight

as far asinsurance that depends on the individual insurance company. i have both my bikes with full coverage through progressive and both are salvaged titles. and i havehad no problems registering them with dmv or making them road worthy.

you cant lump all salvaged title bikes togetherjust like you cant say that bike is better just because its aclean title. my buddy wrecked his 04 1krr into a ditch, flipped it a couple of times but you know what ? it has a clean title ! you must look at each bike individually and not assume just because its salvaged that its a hunk of **** pos that shouldnt be on the streets.

good luck

Old 08-18-2007, 01:52 PM

Thank you kindly. Although it didn't have a salvage title, my first street bike was ripped off then recovered Ninja I bought for $700 bucks. (Plastic was trashed, painted to hide, etc...) I saw a FZ1000 2006 for 1700 bucks because it had been dropped and totalled. Other than a bent radiator and some plastic damage, the bike was perfect. The cases hadn't even been scratched. My concern about salvage bikes came from knowing of people who repaired totalled cars and sold them with bent frames. Something about it was illegal, don't remember the actual law broken, but I wondered if there were similar laws for bikes that doomed them to the junkyard.

Anyhoosal...thanks for the info.

I

Old 08-18-2007, 01:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love to find a good salvaged bike for the track.

Old 08-18-2007, 02:00 PM

You've probably searched Ebay, but in case you haven't, try searching for "cycle salvage." While buying from individuals could be iffy, there are some long time, cycle salvage businesses that use Ebay to sell bikes or part them out. I found frames for my CBR for less than a hundred bucks, swingarms, forks, motors...you could build a bike with spares for under 3000. I found an '02 F4i motor for 800. I almost bought it just to have an extra, rebuilt motor.

I'm cheap. Hehe.

Old 08-18-2007, 02:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see a few around here but track bikes are a lot easier to deal with since they don't have tags. Searching for a valid street bike is tougher.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:14 AM

Hello & Welcome!!

I would stray away from salvaged titles....they can be promblematic at the DMV.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:21 AM

That's what I was wondering about Pits...

I was wondering if piecing a bike together was something that the man would hassle me about. But like TheX says, race bikes are different.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:44 AM
Registered Users

There's no problems with registering a salvaged title bike. I speak from experience...my bike has a salvage title. Purchased from a fellow who barely rode it and when he did, managed to dump it in his driveway. Long story short, his bike was salvage titled after going through the dance with his insurance company, and I snagged it. Took it to DMV and registered it, called up State Farm and insured it. Paid it off and the title from the DMV reads salvaged. No problems with it to date. Good luck.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:02 PM

ORIGINAL: stephygee

There's no problems with registering a salvaged title bike. I speak from experience...my bike has a salvage title. Purchased from a fellow who barely rode it and when he did, managed to dump it in his driveway. Long story short, his bike was salvage titled after going through the dance with his insurance company, and I snagged it. Took it to DMV and registered it, called up State Farm and insured it. Paid it off and the title from the DMV reads salvaged. No problems with it to date. Good luck.
You might want to verify with your state laws. Here in Nevada it is illegal to sell a vehicle with a salvaged title and you can't register it. You have to have it repaired and inspected before you can get a 'rebuilt' title. This will vary state to state, so if you do plan on registering it you might want to check with your state DMV first.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Salvage titles and legality.