Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Time for conctact lenses?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 08:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Time for conctact lenses?

I wear glasses 24/7 being near sighted. Been noticing the gaps in my peripheral vision where the lenses of my glasses don't cover. Vision-wise, I easily passed the vision tests including peripheral at the DMV with my glasses on. But not quite liking what I see.

Think its time I invest in a pair of contacts? Never had an issue with my glasses + helmet before (worn glasses all my life). But my job has drilled Safety 1st into my head

Old 08-10-2009, 08:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Time for LASIK. Greatest thing I've ever done for myself. I wore glasses \ contacts for 15 years, and they NEVER allowed me to see as well as LASIK did. If you're a candidate for LASIK or PRK, DO IT. The price is WELL worth it.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For an easy fix, get contacts. The only downside is that they dry out easy. I have to wear either sunglasses or clear eye protection (night) under my helmet to keep from drying out. But what's cool about that is that you can ride with the visor up a lot longer.
I've been meaning to get the laser surgery, but I'm kinda chicken. It is a tax write-off though!

Old 08-10-2009, 10:54 AM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

If you can get contacts, do it. I loved not having glasses for the short time I tried contacts- I ended up having to stick with glasses due to a lazy eye. And LASIK ftw from everyone I've heard of doing it.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:18 AM
December 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by johnnyx
Time for LASIK. Greatest thing I've ever done for myself. I wore glasses \ contacts for 15 years, and they NEVER allowed me to see as well as LASIK did. If you're a candidate for LASIK or PRK, DO IT. The price is WELL worth it.

YES!! I had glasses and contacts and nothing compares to the clarity of seeing through your own eyes. By far, it has been the best money I have ever spent on myself.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:55 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have to check if LASIK is covered under my health or vision at work

Old 08-10-2009, 12:32 PM

LASIK might also not be possible. Do you have serious astigmatism? If so you might have issues with it.

I am going to be looking into LASIK soon. I have worn contacts since 98, glasses since 92. Contacts beat glasses hands down. LASIK (if you can do it) is definitely the preferred option.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:37 PM
July 2008 ROTM

I wore glasses under the helmet for a long time, then when I upgraded to a Suomy helmet I couldn't get them to fit right - the cheek pads kept pushing them around. So I switched to contacts (which I already had, I just never wore them regularly).

I still usually only wear contacts on the bike, but I prefer it. I just wish my helmet would let me wear some clears on also, so I could do the visor up thing more often.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by CrashTECH
Do you have serious astigmatism? If so you might have issues with it.
I had severe astigmatism, and I was a prime candidate. Also, there are other options besides Lasik for surgical vision improvement.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Have to check if LASIK is covered under my health or vision at work

It probably isn't. But trust me, the out of pocket cost is worth it. Even if I had to pay double what I did, I'd still be ecstatic. Once everything was done healing, I ended up having BETTER than 20/20 vision.

Quick Reply: Time for conctact lenses?