Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Joining a Fraternity Yea or Nay?

Old 04-27-2009, 11:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Joining a Fraternity Yea or Nay?

Recently transferred to a new College and after being here a month my roommate floated me the idea of joining his frat. I am kinda on the fence with this one. Before coming here I was mostly against the idea but, its appeal has grown since my arrival.

Anyone got any input either way on this? Procrastinating on writing a paper right now so help me out here.

Last edited by Blackcom; 04-27-2009 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Fixed grammer.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:06 PM

Dont.... I could never really understand the whole brotherhood thing, most ppl i know that are in frats at my school would and do turn on eachother like its nothing, i only have 2 "brothers" and we all came from the same lady haha. Besides you can just become good friends with your roomate and he can tell you when the partys are, which is the real reason anyone joins one in the first place, and you save yourself money by not having to pay dues (more money to dump in your bike )

Old 04-27-2009, 12:07 PM

Greek life was big at my college - I never joined, I always thought it was kind of stupid and juvenile.

I liked being able to go to all of them without "RUSHING" a fraternity.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:07 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

If you like giant beer and sex party's all the time then join. but don't expect to learn anything from it other then being with loose women

lost two gf's to that crap.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:31 PM

JOin the frat. My brother is in the frat at his collage and he loves it. the things you do and people the meet are so amazing. it really makes the collage life something to look back on and say, dang that was fun.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:45 PM

I felt the same way when I first started college. I thought fraternities were dumb and people just pay for friends. My junior in college I rushed and got a different view of the fraternity. All fraternities are different. Some are just party party party. Others are focused on helping the environment or being academic. I recommend you rush and try to get a good feel for the fraternities and if you are comfortable with one then join.

Oh and by the way don't call it a frat. Would you call your country a c-u-n-t?

Old 04-27-2009, 12:56 PM

dont join.... unless you have a hard time making friends, or cant find parties

Old 04-27-2009, 01:28 PM

though i havent i would say do it. college is all about learning and experiencing things before you hit the real world. i say experience as much as you can while your there and make as many connections as you can while your there. it may very well pay off later in life.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:43 PM
Default dont waste your time.

from personal experience im gonna have to say no. these "brothers" will turn on you just as fast as any other person in the world so dont do it if youre looking for something different. politics will force you into factions, and you will lose friends over bull**** policy. stay clear and youll be aight

Old 04-27-2009, 04:31 PM

I agree with pastas you need to rush the fraternities. dont just join one because your roommate is in it. I am in Delta Tau Delta and I wouldnt have traded my undergrad years in it for anything. The guys that are saying not to join unless you have problems making friends, or just want to party, etc. dont know what they are talking about. Most Fraternities will teach you a lot of things that you will not otherwise learn.

Networking is one of the biggest things that you will get out of being greek. I would suggest that you look into it. Fraternity life isnt all about partying. The partying aspect is just what the rest of the college community sees because thats all they look for. Its about brotherhood, community service, and bettering all aspects of your life.

I can call up any of the guys in my fraternity whether they are from my chapter or one in another state and I can guarantee that they would do whatever they could to help me whether its a place to stay or a ride from the airport etc.

if you find yourself rushing and brothers refer to it as a frat, turn around and walk out the door. They are the kind that you wont gain anything from.