Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

I got really lucky

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 11:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I got really lucky

So, the other day I got extremely lucky with the police. I live in southern california and I was riding the Pacific Coast Highway and was on the stretch from newport beach to huntington beach. Well that stretch is about a mile or two miles of just road with nothing in between. If youve ever riden there you know what I mean. Well, I'm not gonna say how fast I was going, but let's just say I wasn't going slow. So, there's a barrier between the traffic and apparently there was a motorcycle cop going the opposite direction and saw me. He couldn't pull me over immediately obviously because the barrier. Well, I never saw him and I stopped in huntington for a smoke/thirst break. I get back on my bike and get pulled over. This was about 30 minutes later, so I think nothing of it. I pull over take off my helmet blah blah blah, first thing he says is " Saw you doin *** coming into my city, I'm pretty impressed". In my mind I say to myself "OH S**T!".
I give him my license insurance all that jazz and that 10 minutes waiting on him to run it, I was in hell. I thought for sure I was screwed. Not to mention he was pointing out all the "illegal" things on my bike: tinted windscreen, blacked out blinkers, no reflection tape. He comes back over to me and hands me a fix it ticket for having a worn rear tire! Whattt??? Thats it? So, he says to me, " I could have taken you to jail and impounded your bike for 30 days, but I'm on another detail right now" OMG! Thank the heavens!
So, I end up with a fix it ticket for a worn rear tire. thats it. I have til august 8th, which I was planning on replacing withen the month anyways. So, I was have to pay anything I wasn't already planning on. I'm just sad that I didn't bend over and kiss his boots! I could have been SOOOOO screwed.

Does anyone else have any lucky stories like this? I think he was really nice too because he was a motorcycle officer and road bikes outside of work as well, so he understood what I was doing. But I wanna hear your stories of getting lucky, if you have them. Anddddd if you don't mind sharing maybe some of being NOT so lucky?

Oh and pleasseee don't harrass me about what I did, I know it was really stupid and I should have been more careful. I most certainly learned my lesson and still thank the bike gods everyday for that.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:18 AM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"tinted windscreen, blacked out blinkers, no reflection . . ." wait, what? "tinted windscreen?

You aren't allowed to have a tinted windscreen? Why? Does that prevent police from seeing the rider? Or is yours so tall you have to look through it? Or is that just one of those screwy California things that make the rest of us glad we don't live there?

Old 05-12-2012, 10:37 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by DRam
"tinted windscreen, blacked out blinkers, no reflection . . ." wait, what? "tinted windscreen?

You aren't allowed to have a tinted windscreen? Why? Does that prevent police from seeing the rider? Or is yours so tall you have to look through it? Or is that just one of those screwy California things that make the rest of us glad we don't live there?
windshields are not allowed to be tinted. when the wrote the law, they didnt except sportbikes. cars, trucks, and bikes with big windshields that you look through is what they were aiming for, but use it to screw with us.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:13 AM

Yea, I was really dumbfounded when he said tinted windscreen. haha my visor is tinted even more than my screen! And no myh screen isnt tall at all it's actually shorter than the stock f2 screen

Old 05-12-2012, 03:28 PM

I'm gonna go ahead and say he didn't actually have you documented and was just trying to scare you.

Besides two moving vehicles is hard to prove in court, nearly impossible with a barrier.

I've gotten out of multiple tickets this way. When Police officers are moving they use Radar, much less accurate than the laser they use when stationary. Considering you were in traffic and with a barrier of some sort between you...

No dice on that ticket.

Old 05-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NateDieselF4i
I'm gonna go ahead and say he didn't actually have you documented and was just trying to scare you.

Besides two moving vehicles is hard to prove in court, nearly impossible with a barrier.

I've gotten out of multiple tickets this way. When Police officers are moving they use Radar, much less accurate than the laser they use when stationary. Considering you were in traffic and with a barrier of some sort between you...

No dice on that ticket.
+1

Even if he did get you on Radar, Unless he somehow got your license plate it would be impossible to prove in court that it was actually you as he would have had to lose sight of you, in which you could have been another motorcycle of the same type.