CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

The most lucky / the least lucky person

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 02:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The most lucky / the least lucky person

So,

I found an amazing local guy to do the clutch (see other post for reasons on why I am so inept and need someone to do it).
I hopped on the bike to ride it the 30 mins down the road....the clouds cleared...the temperature climbed to about 14 degrees and it felt great...

about 15 mins in i felt a clunk that felt like it had jumped out of gear and then I couldn't change gear...with my limited knowledge i thought well thats the clutch (even though it did work when pulled in) and I'm on my way so lets get there. i arrived using third only...

15 mins later i arrived and cant kick the side stand down. I look down and there is what looks like a bungee or rope around the rear wheel, gear switch gear,side and centre stand. The helpful guy cuts me free and we pull everything off. It turned out to be a badly mangled brand new HJC helmet bag !!!... it must have fallen out of my jacket and got caught up. I live in the countryside so no street lighting and its pitch black so didnt see whilst i was on the road.

We started the bike up and nothing, didnt even try to turn over. switch on and off a couple and times and it then fired up but boy is there now one hell of a rattle, it sounds like a hideous cam chain problem and explains the loss of power. I have no idea how this could be linked but it didnt make any noise before and its too much of a coincidence.

so I am the luckiest person as that really should have put me on the ground, i am still alive and in those first 15 minutes i really fell in love with the bike. Unluckiest because well... i could be facing a large repair bill on a bike I brought 4 days ago because it was cheap and what i could afford.

anyway i just needed to vent...finished now

Old 01-07-2014, 03:47 PM
Welcome Crew Technician
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn thats crazy. Lucky as **** that didnt lock your rear wheel. Phew.

What kinda bike. and that also sucks you just bought it but be happy you didnt lay it down and wreck up the fairings.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:53 PM

i know!!!!, i ended in a ditch but managed to ride it back out (mis-spent youth riding mx around farmers fields).
its a 93 f2 (although it may be a 94 according to other comments).

Old 01-16-2014, 10:50 PM

I'm assuming the noise you hear is while the bike is in neutral and revving. Does the noise change when the clutch is pulled in? If so, then maybe the clutch is fried. If you were stuck in third, you would have to slip the clutch pretty brutally if you had to stop for traffic or lights.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:01 PM

Bingo

clutch was not fried several plates had exploded. luckily i only traveled a couple of miles before reaching destination so it was all cleaned out and good as new.