Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

A hundred ways to crash...whats your pet fear?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 08:36 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bmgcya
Coming around a "blind" corner only to find a big truck in my lane.
This happened to me the other day! Took a left-hander(we ride on the left here) , to find a truck parked in the road with another trying to get past! Was almost through the curve , so managed to slam on the brakes and squeeze through the gap between the passing truck and the hedge(ditch). Didn't even have time to think , just react and make a mental note to **** my pants later!

Not funny , the guy in the parked truck couldn't have picked a more dangerous place to stop

Old 09-24-2009, 09:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy anti-science Batman! Now I have a whole new reason to think that HD's are crap. I think I actually was on a wide glide. It was pretty, but it scared the bejesus out of me just trying to get around the block. It was a wrestling match and I was losing. My current big v-twin weighs more that that HD but handles like dream. It never crossed my mind that something so fundemental could be wrong with the "Icon."

Old 09-24-2009, 09:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkwind
This happened to me the other day! Took a left-hander(we ride on the left here) , to find a truck parked in the road with another trying to get past! Was almost through the curve , so managed to slam on the brakes and squeeze through the gap between the passing truck and the hedge(ditch). Didn't even have time to think , just react and make a mental note to **** my pants later!

Not funny , the guy in the parked truck couldn't have picked a more dangerous place to stop

I've seen a bunch of death and injury suits over my career about vehicles/trucks stopping in places that create such hazards. It seems the drivers often fail to consider what approaching vehicles will have to deal with. Parking totally or partially in the lane right over a hill or around a corner. They just think, "I'm in trouble, so everyone has to accomodate me." But even if those approaching get surprised and don't have enough time to react?

Old 09-24-2009, 02:19 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JHouse
Holy anti-science Batman! Now I have a whole new reason to think that HD's are crap. I think I actually was on a wide glide. It was pretty, but it scared the bejesus out of me just trying to get around the block. It was a wrestling match and I was losing. My current big v-twin weighs more that that HD but handles like dream. It never crossed my mind that something so fundemental could be wrong with the "Icon."
I edited the direction the bike pushes and pulls. If the wheel were offset to the left it would push right and pull left on breaking.

I forgot to mention that the center of gravity is in fact offset to the left of center of the bike due to the weight of the transmission. This also makes the bike want to drop left but harder to lean to the right.

That's why you get poor feedback from the bike. It drops into a left turn but the throttle counters that reaction and pushes it right. So if you were to be going left with the center of gravity on the left and you applied the rear break that pulls you left, you are really going to go left in a hurry. They really don't like going right.