Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

A hundred ways to crash...whats your pet fear?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
Yikes !!! ... that would have ruined yu day Joe....even in a car
Yup, you take their legs right out from under them and their windshield shaped body takes your frick'n head right off.

Old 09-19-2009, 02:17 PM

Coming around a "blind" corner only to find a big truck in my lane.

Old 09-19-2009, 02:53 PM

I get a bit nervous if a cars right up behind me and im going round a bumpy roundabout. Its the one time where I dont want to power out incase I lose it.

One problem I have is I dont know my tyres limits in the dry.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My worst fear is goin around a blind corner and havin some cager take a corner wide and have his grill meet mine!

PS i dont really have a grill just refering to that thing i call my face! haha

Old 09-21-2009, 02:33 PM

mines already happened to me. but my worst fear is gettin hit by a car. and my 2nd is having bees fly in my helmet and stingin the crap outta me till i loose control

Old 09-21-2009, 02:42 PM

Taking a blind corner and hitting a patch of sand. I don't know where this fear came from, but it makes me steer through blind corners at like 10 MPH.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:40 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Death and I have come close many times but not as close as the time I was cutting into a turn at high speed from the outside, when a HD coming the in my direction, from the inside, crossed the center line at the apex and damn near did a head on with me. I, on a Honda, went to the outside as quickly as possible and felt the wind on my elbow of the HD and rider. I watched in my mirror, the HD almost went off the road in my lane to the outside. If a car were behind me it would have been light out for Mr. HD.

I was going about 75 MPH the HD was about 40 MPH. Those things scare me. Now, every turn I am looking for them. The scare the chit out of me.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo
Death and I have come close many times but not as close as the time I was cutting into a turn at high speed from the outside, when a HD coming the in my direction, from the inside, crossed the center line at the apex and damn near did a head on with me. I, on a Honda, went to the outside as quickly as possible and felt the wind on my elbow of the HD and rider. I watched in my mirror, the HD almost went off the road in my lane to the outside. If a car were behind me it would have been light out for Mr. HD.

I was going about 75 MPH the HD was about 40 MPH. Those things scare me. Now, every turn I am looking for them. The scare the chit out of me.
Sorry to be a little off topic, but this has puzzled me for years. I road a friends HD a long time ago, and I was just getting back into biking so my feel was probably off, but I swear the center of gravity felt like it was over my head and I just couldn't get the bike to turn at all. It felt like a block of steel balancing on one ice skate. Was that just me or was it a 1991 HD?

Old 09-24-2009, 08:18 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JHouse
Sorry to be a little off topic,......... I swear the center of gravity felt like it was over my head .......... Was that just me or was it a 1991 HD?
JHouse, no problem, this thread is in the off topic area.

Most HDs wheels are off center and not inline with each other due to the transmission arrangement. If you have noticed a HD taking off or going down the road when the throttle is opened, it goes right. When the rider backs off the throttle the bike goes left. When you follow a HD down the road it wallows all over the lane as the rider likes to hear his exhaust note by throttling up and backing off. I have mentioned this to HD rider that I know and their reply is,”Oh! Now I know why I can go faster around a left hand turn than I can a right hand turn.” On most, the rear tire is shifted about 1/4 tire width.

What is really crazy is the Wide Glide. To be able to get a front brake caliper to mate up with the rotor, they shifted the entire wheel assembly to the right about what looks like an entire tire width. It is very noticeable. That thing looks like a death trap to me.

And yes they are heavy bikes with goofy handle bar angles.

If you are not familiar with how they jerk and pull, you would be confused while trying to get back into riding.

In this thread I mentioned that the HD almost nailed me. He was in over his head as he was turning right. He would not have had such trouble going left at that speed he was traveling.

Also, if you have seen the clip of the HD going down into the ditch on the Tail Of The Dragon, you guessed it, he did not make the right hand turn just before the left where he went off.

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 09-24-2009 at 02:20 PM. Reason: changed right to left directions

Quick Reply: A hundred ways to crash...whats your pet fear?