Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Friendly Advice...

Old 01-25-2007, 06:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Friendly Advice...

hey all...justa couple offriendly advice for everyone:

1. takeyour time when wrenching...when tightening bolts, nuts, etc...always finger tighten first, then use the wrench, otherwise, it could lead to cross threading and stripping, which is no fun...happened to me yesterday while wrenching my car...jacked up nice sway bar mounts...ended up drilling out the threads and snaking a grade 8 bolt all the way through...

2. always wear your helmet! even when moving your bike from the garage to elsewhere...
please read the following...so sad, as it could've been prevented!

Posed by someone from another forum.

[color=#3300ff]"I was one of 5 others that rode up to BW with Glenn. He was riding Jeremy Toye's CBR1000 Superbike. As has already been explained, he had just completed teching his bike and was not wearing a helmet. I was standing at the registration tent when I heard an engine rev, then the sound of a bike skidding on the ground. The engine revved for no more than 1 sec. I turned around just in time to see Glenn's head hit the concrete. I did not see the bike hit him. Glenn was no more than 25' from me. It was around 7:45am, and I would say closer to 35F...very cold. The tires were 209s. There were immediately 5-10 people on cell phones calling 911, and some smart and quick-thinking people there to provide some medical assistance (like keeping his airway clear and putting blankets on him). The ambulance was not there yet, though it may not be required until the track goes hot (I don't know the requirements). In this case, it is doubtful that immediate professional medical attention would have saved his life. Police, fire crews and paramedics arrived within 10-30min of the accident, and he was helo'd to the hospital about 45min after the accident.

The Trackdaz staff (and everyone there, for that matter) did all they could, including a very quick PA announcement/request for anyone with medical knowledge/experience to assist.

Only Glenn would know exactly what happened and why the throttle was jacked open like that with the clutch engaged (and maybe not even Glenn if there was a mechanical or FI malfunction). Some of you know Glenn better than me. I rode with him 4 times total in the past 2 months, exchanged emails, had phone conversations, and was at his house socializing the night before we drove up. He seemed like a mature guy and a mature rider. He did not seem like the showboating type (I have never even seen him do a wheelie) and from what I saw riding with him, he was a relatively accomplished rider. I know he attended Code's L1-4 and was planning on doing Code's race school in Feb or March. He was even considering doing his first few sessions in the Street group just to get a feel for the new bike. Exactly what happened or why, we will never know.

No doubt, it was cold and his tires were rock hard. A handful of throttle on a stock GSXR600 with stock tires would have spun the back tire. Only 3 days prior, while prepping my bike for this weekend (race plastic and new wheels), I took my bike down my street for a quick test ride (to make sure the wheels and brakes were operating properly) without a helmet. I gassed it just a little and unintentionally left a 20' burnout mark. Had the bike been leaned or turning just a little bit, I would have been on my *** or head. Be VERY careful, especially when it's cold.

There were no more than 10% of the riders wearing their helmets to tech (or in the parking lot at all unless they were coming on or off the track). I teched my bike later that day and Sunday without my helmet...right or wrong. Bottom line: a helmet would have almost surely saved his life.

This was without a doubt one of the freakiest accidents. I was talking to one of the Trackdaz guys who had just teched Glenn's bike, and he said he had never seen anything like this in his 10 years of track riding. Glenn or any of us could do this 99

Old 01-25-2007, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Friendly Advice...

[sm=insomnia.gif][sm=smiley22.gif][sm=smiley24.gif][sm=youreright.gif]

Old 01-25-2007, 07:25 PM

damn, that sucks! RIP to Glenn......teaching us a lesson he paid for.

Old 01-25-2007, 09:08 PM

[&o] Man, that is rough. RIP Glenn.

Old 01-25-2007, 11:34 PM

Sorry to hear of the loss. RIP
Thanks for sharing the story.

Old 01-26-2007, 06:42 AM

[sm=smiley19.gif]Are you serious? That's wrong on so many levels that **** like that happens. Kinda puts things in persective. R.I.P.

Old 01-26-2007, 07:54 AM

life is so unpredictable...
you never know what's coming ahead of you...
but you can prevent from happenings like this...
ALWAYS WEAR YOUR GEARS!!!
God bless to Glenn and his family...

Old 01-26-2007, 01:12 PM

ameng to that mang...
seriously though...there's the belief that if it's your time then it's your time...but something like this...totally preventable...even if it wasn't his time...at least he didn't have to go this way.

Old 01-26-2007, 02:14 PM

That for the lack of a better sucks.

R.I.P Glenn and god bless his family in their time of need.