Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Forced to break the law

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 02:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Forced to break the law

ORIGINAL: randyjoy

Here are the states I could find with the "Motorcycle can go through a red light if it doesn't trigger law": South Carolina (2008, after 120 seconds), North Carolina(2007, after 180 seconds), Wisconsin (2006, after 30 seconds), Idaho (2006, after one full cycle), Arkansas (2005, permitted with caution), Tennessee (2003, permitted with caution), and Minnesota (2002, Affirmative Defense).

Bills have been introduced for the same purpose in Georgia, Missouri and Oklahoma.

If you know your state recently passed one, post the statute.
http://www.bikernation.net/stoplight...in%202005-2006

"NEW SECTION. Sec. 1. A new section is added to chapter 46.61 RCW to read as follows:
Notwithstanding any provision of law to the contrary, the operator of a street legal motorcycle approaching a left turn intersection that is controlled by a triggered traffic control signal using a vehicle detection device that is inoperative due to the size of the street legal motorcycle shall come to a full and complete stop at the intersection. If the left turn signal fails to operate after one cycle of the traffic signal, then while cross traffic is stopped the operator may, after exercising due care, proceed to turn left. Motorcycle operators planning to make such turns shall remain stopped to allow other vehicles lawfully within or approaching the intersection control area to complete their movements. Motorcycle operators planning to make such turns shall also remain stopped for pedestrians who are lawfully in the intersection control area as required by RCW 46.61.235(1). It is not a defense to a violation of RCW 46.61.050 that the driver of a motorcycle proceeded under the belief that a traffic control signal used a vehicle detection device or was inoperative due to the size of the motorcycle when the signal did not use a vehicle detection device or that any such device was not in fact inoperative due to the size of the motorcycle. NEW SECTION. Sec. 2. This act takes effect September 1, 2006

Old 01-02-2009, 04:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Endless

If we are going to go this far we might as well entertain the idea of a high speed pursuit...

Am i the only one who wishes for a situation of that measure, without the consequences of course, just to see if i can do it?

I really hope that one day i am legal to ride just so i can experience that. I think it will be worth the ticket. Does anyone know if your ride gets impounded should you be unable to ditch the 5.0? How many of us have been successful? I know of a few here but i am not going to volunteer. Share (re-share) the story please. Hopefully it will satiate my impulses.

I was being extra careful not to run the light because i am un-lisenced. shhh don't tell anybody.

And people wondered why I posted a comment to you in another thread about growing up.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:00 PM

I remember in Michigan you could run a red but you had to be stopped at it for an extended period of time, minutes IIRC???

Old 01-02-2009, 07:30 PM

ORIGINAL: ggrahn

http://www.bikernation.net/stoplight...in%202005-2006

[align=left]"NEW SECTION. Sec. 1. A new section is added to chapter 46.61 RCW to read as follows:...[/align][align=left]This act takes effect September 1, 2006[/align]
That was HB1466 in Washington, it did not pass. It was reintroduced the next session as HB1625, didn't pass either. HB2919 looks like it is in the works now (in committee). At least they keep trying to get it passed.