Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Feel stupid using the new GoPro Hero2

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 08:15 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

there's a lot of turbulence right there where you had it mounted.... your body is catching air and pushing it forward, then there's gusts coming from the sides.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:25 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just got to chesty mount this week and first time using it. Guess I did not strap it tight enough...but if camera is mount on chest/body...if body moves, camera moves...I'll try to strap it tighter next time out.

I want to try mounting camera to front fender..

Old 01-29-2012, 03:09 PM
August 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put mine on windscreen with suction cup and tied down with ribbon. It vibrates some what. That is the only place I could think of to put it on my bike. I just put a mount on my helmet. I haven't tried that yet.

I did stupid thing though this morning. I thought I turned the camera on. but somehow I just took one pic with it. And I went on my morning ride thinking I am taking a video. And when I came back into town, I pushed the top button at the light thinking I am turning it off. But I actually just turned the camera on. So instead of 45 mins of riding with sunrise, I got 6 mins of going home, putting gas etc.

I use mac and I use iMovie. It takes a long time to import the movie. But once it's done, it's easy to edit.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:21 PM

Woohoo! I just picked up a Hero2 for $197 CDN after tax!.. plus $200 in best buy gift cards I forgot I had lol. First thing I did was strap it to the dog's head but she didn't like it so the video wasn't worth keeping. Can't wait to try it out while snowboarding this weekend!

Regarding playback issues, I agree with using VLC but try enabling the following setting:

Tools> Preferences> Inputs & Codecs> Use GPU Acceleration (experimental)

If your video card supports it this will improve performance drastically. I have a really low powered media center that plays 1080p silky smooth.
Specs:
AMD E-350 CPU (it's a dual core 1.6 GHz often used in netbooks)
4GB RAM
Radeon HD 6310 GPU

I used to have stutter issues until I applied these settings. HD Video relies heavily on CPU so the minimum sys requirements of 3.2 GHz is reasonable. But video cards have processors too and GPU acceleration enables your system to offload a large chunk of the load to the graphics card.

Before uploading large files to youtube I would decrease the file size by re-encoding them using third party software, probably into .flv format. Can't think of a user-friendly one off the top of my head but there are many out there.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:04 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Great info & tks! Hope you are having a blast with the hero 2....it's a sick camera...i'm having so much fun,

Originally Posted by AF4iK
Woohoo! I just picked up a Hero2 for $197 CDN after tax!.. plus $200 in best buy gift cards I forgot I had lol. First thing I did was strap it to the dog's head but she didn't like it so the video wasn't worth keeping. Can't wait to try it out while snowboarding this weekend!

Regarding playback issues, I agree with using VLC but try enabling the following setting:

Tools> Preferences> Inputs & Codecs> Use GPU Acceleration (experimental)

If your video card supports it this will improve performance drastically. I have a really low powered media center that plays 1080p silky smooth.
Specs:
AMD E-350 CPU (it's a dual core 1.6 GHz often used in netbooks)
4GB RAM
Radeon HD 6310 GPU

I used to have stutter issues until I applied these settings. HD Video relies heavily on CPU so the minimum sys requirements of 3.2 GHz is reasonable. But video cards have processors too and GPU acceleration enables your system to offload a large chunk of the load to the graphics card.

Before uploading large files to youtube I would decrease the file size by re-encoding them using third party software, probably into .flv format. Can't think of a user-friendly one off the top of my head but there are many out there.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:31 AM

So looking forward to mounting it on my bike but sadly have a couple months to go before winter lets up

But in the meantime winter sports