Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Feel stupid using the new GoPro Hero2

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 12:04 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks voxtrox...for the info...let me update windows....(Ern)laptop is running Vista Home Premium..6.0 (2006) old version I guess.... I've just updated it...on the Microsoft website, I keep posted on progress...I'll try voxtrox suggestion next...

Originally Posted by voxtrox
you have a dual core cpu ! you can play 1080p streams on that laptop

get MPCHC or VLC mate, seriously.

cleaing up that vista installation would probably help. i dont know how "messy" a pc user
you are
defragmenting the hdd is also something that helps video playback.

CCleaner is a great tool to clean up.
Defraggler is a great defragging tool (if, like me, you hate the windows one)

if you still get choppy playback, then check (if you chose MPCHC) whether
your media player drops frames. if thats the case, you need to close some
tasks running in the background. check task manager and see how many
processes you got going and kill unneeded ones. (you can always ask)

Old 01-24-2012, 12:44 AM
February 2012 ROTM

I just loaded VLC, trying play off SD card, even worst than QT...freezed up...

Now trying Ccleaner...

Old 01-24-2012, 01:31 AM
February 2012 ROTM

Already Ccleaned...no help. VLC just freezes up...

Old 01-24-2012, 01:39 AM
February 2012 ROTM

My laptop is 2.10 Ghz..intel Core 2 duo...running vista home premium. Just tried VLC & Ccleaner...no help

Now trying Sony Vegas Pro

Will advise if any improvement?

Originally Posted by That Guy in Maine
I think of myself as a GoPro...Pro

I haven't read the entire thread, only skimmed it but here are some tips.

1. Set the camera to one button mode, this way when you turn it on it automatically starts recording, and when turned off it stops of course. VERY handy for what I think you're looking to do with short shots, or longer.

2. WiFi remote is coming out soon, maybe you aren't looking to spend the extra $$ but it would be another good way to start recording without trouble.

3. Choppy playback on PC = underpowered computer most likely. A few things you can do to help improve your current playback is to get sony vegas pro, there's a feature which allows you to temporarily use your RAM to store video, so you can select some of your edited footage, press a few keys...wait a few seconds...and voila you can now playback that section without the freezes even on a low powered computer in HD.

4. Like somebody said, a better "class" car will improve your capturing a bit, and how the computer handles it, not majorly though.

5. HD footage being choppy is not "normal" by any means, it might seem that way to most people since they have computers that can't handle video processing. Try editing on a Mac or a high powered PC...no issues. Your IT guy is an idiot as well, RAM is not the only thing that could be hindering your computer, it could have an old/crappy graphics card, or the processor might also be lacking, there are a lot of things that can hinder a computer.

6. For YouTube uploading, there are ways to increase upload times, do some googling as I won't go into depth here...but there are ways to cut it in half, or even more. Converting to certain file types helps.

7. You should be using a higher frame rate since you're using it for an action sport. It will not be perfect HD but most people will watch the video on a computer where it won't matter and the FPS will. A higher number of FPS = less choppy video (NOT in editing though).

I suggest using the 60FPS mode, a good balance of frame rate and video quality.

Good luck, if you have other Q's feel free to ask me!

Old 01-24-2012, 08:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you shouldn't play it off the sd card. copy the file onto your laptop's harddrive.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:50 AM
February 2012 ROTM

I did tried copy to harddrive on QT but still won't work (since QT plays better than VLC) I did not try...maybe tonight off work I'll try.

I'll try copy and then playing from hardrive.

I'll try Sony Vegas Pro tonight too.

I'm really having doubt because why would GoPro state in their owners manual that Hero2 requires a minimum 3.2Ghz if it doesn't mean anything.

My IT at work plays it on his desk top with 3.2Ghz , it was smooth and awesome HD graphics!!!

If I don't solve this soon, my option is to sell the Hero2 because I don't want to buy a new computer to play video recorded by this GoPro ,

Or its time to upgrade my computer, buying one that has a minimum of 3.2Ghz CPU...

Originally Posted by voxtrox
you shouldn't play it off the sd card. copy the file onto your laptop's harddrive.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ghz don't mean sh*t mate.
a 1080p stream requires a 2ghz core2duo minimum.
you have a 2.2ghz core2duo. it can play it, but you probably need
to optimize your OS a bit or kill unneeded services to get all the
performance out of it.
i'd say the main problem is the fps. 1080p60 needs more than what you
have. 1080p30 would probably play smooth.
id record at 720p instead and go from there and once you have a
new pc, you can switch to 1080p. 720p is great quality and if all
you do is upload on youtube, then it really doesn't matter and will
take a lot less time to upload too

ps: a 3.4ghz pentium 4 is about 10 times slower than a 2.2ghz core2duo.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:01 PM
February 2012 ROTM

Yeah...something is definitely wrong...I did try recording in all format...from standard to 1080HD, it still play choppy??

Let me try again tonight, record in 720 and play it using VLC...

Old 01-29-2012, 12:04 AM
February 2012 ROTM

Here is the first time/ short video I recorded with the hero 2 (chest harness) in 720 p30....I'll try 960 & 1080 next time out. Problem with the chesty is that you must sit more upright.

Tks for all comment, it seems like the go pro & my lap top is work...now I just have to get more experience using this hero 2. I wanted to use the suction cup mount, but my bike is older(94) model with carb...and the bike vibrates pretty much when throttle. Any comment to improve my shots appreciated...

94 CBR 900 short video on highway - YouTube

Old 01-29-2012, 05:33 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try a higher mount (helmet maybe?) or a side/front fender mount. I'm sure that's already going through your head, though.

Turn down the sound volume on the recording when you edit. Wind roar is a common
annoyance with these type videos. You can try recording some of the roar with a
different mic and then reverse the signal to cancel out the wind or possibly some
adjustments to the equalization and just dampen that frequency.

Only other thing to keep in mind with your new toy, don't play to the camera when
you're riding. Record your normal type riding habits. Keep the stunting and super-high
speeds off the public streets. We want you around recording vids and posting them
for a long time, not the reality tv crews using the footage to illustrate another 'crazy
motorcyclist' has died/been hospitalized while being a public menace. We play hard
enough, resist the urge to push for the camera.

Be safe AND have fun, Ern

Quick Reply: Feel stupid using the new GoPro Hero2