Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Feel stupid using the new GoPro Hero2

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 05:49 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't understand "ripping it" but it's choppy, skips, sometimes freezes up...when playing back video I just shot (directly from SD card or even playback after loading SD file into my computer, playing from file) both choppy...

By any means, my Sony Viaos is not that old? 3 years...

It does not look normal?

But then I select a small file (about 15second video) I load up YouTube ...playback from YouTube was smooth & High-Def....

Is my Ghz too low?

Let me post my equipment info for Ern tomorrow...go from there.

Originally Posted by sjona2011
to clarify, is the video choppy while youre ripping it to your computer, or anytime you try to watch/edit it?
if its being choppy while ripping it then, from my experience, thats normal.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:54 PM
February 2012 ROTM

Oh, I'm unable to edit...it's quick time...and I can watch video using iTunes ...

I have no problem in the past with windows movie maker...media player. This GoPro hero 2 records in MP4 quick time players...

Old 01-23-2012, 06:11 PM
February 2012 ROTM

Basically, I click on my GoPro Hero2 video file, quick time player plays video...choppy/skipping...I then open my iTunes click movie file...my GoPro video automatically load into iTunes, I try playing video thru iTunes but still same choppy problem...

This is the first time I've mess with Quick Time players...in the past I've always use media player,

WTF......

I found the problem!!!!!!!

As i was typing this...

My IT at work just page me to his desk. About 20min ago I gave him my SD card with the 30min video I shot...

He played my SD card on his computer with 3.2 Ghz CPU.....

****...it Works!!! Smooth like butter!!!! Video was HD

So my lap top is old! Damn...seems like not long ago I purchase it....

Gotta get myself a 3.2 or higher Ghz lap top...

My IT say upgrading my laptop is costly...rather get a new one..

So GoPro Hero2 requires a fast processor...

Last edited by gotcbr; 09-19-2012 at 04:13 PM. Reason: language
Old 01-23-2012, 06:18 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

does the hero 1 have high demands as well? i have been wanting one for a while, so i waited until the hero2 came out, but i dont want to buy a new laptop for it to work. i'll pick up the older one, if it'll work.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:22 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try right-click, open with>windows media player. see if that works better than QT.
Personally, I loath QT on the windows platform. It's actually designed to run on
Macs not Microsoft. It's best left there, imo. If you do like it, double-check that it's the
latest version. Also, check with sony to see if there are any driver updates for your
laptop. Go to support>driver downloads for your model.

Ern

Old 01-23-2012, 06:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ghz don't mean anything. what you need is a dual-core cpu to play 1080p streams especially at 60 fps.
you could get away with a single core cpu if you had a graphic card that could handle it, but
thats not the case here.

so all you can do, is re-encode the video (thats what youtube does) or record at a lower setting with your gopro.

edit: you can try different media players:

BSplayer is pretty light or try VLC. id normally recommend MPCHC, but that one does require more power than the
other two.

Last edited by voxtrox; 01-23-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:35 PM

Looked up the Hero2 on the website they are specing a 3.2 pentium 4 as minimum.
That is an ancient single-core processor, hasn't been made in 3-4 years. I've been
through 2 different processors since then. I highly doubt that's the issue.

If it's your IT guy, he's probably running something similar to my quad-core i7, 6gb
ram, 1.5 gb video rig, of course his will run it like silk. I still think you should
probably be able to play 1080 video. You just may have to tweak the software to do it.

I'll be able to speak more definetively after I see your specs.

Ern

Old 01-23-2012, 06:37 PM

+1 Votrox on VLC, no frills but not a lot of over-head demands, either.

Ern

Old 01-23-2012, 06:38 PM
July 2008 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, try finding a different media player to watch it through - some of them require a lot more overhead to play videos than others.

Also, look into how much RAM (memory) your computer has, and if there's room to upgrade. You can have 2.3ghz, but if you have 1gig of RAM, that might hurt you. Most computers should support at LEAST 2gig, if not 4gig+.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:44 PM
February 2012 ROTM

The odd issue is that while I was trouble shooting...

I shot 10 second video each in every setting on this GoPro Hero 2... From the lowest standard...to this highest 1080. All of the videos playback Choppy on my laptop.

File can only be play using QT...media player don't work.

Today, my IT took my SD card and played it on his 3.2 Ghz desk top and it works flawless! At least I know it's not my GoPro2 camera defect?

Let me stop and see what options do I have...any ideas?

If I knew buying a GoPro 2 require me to get a new laptop, my decision to purchase this Hero2 may have been NO. I'll stick with the older model.

Originally Posted by voxtrox
ghz don't mean anything. what you need is a dual-core cpu to play 1080p streams especially at 60 fps.
you could get away with a single core cpu if you had a graphic card that could handle it, but
thats not the case here.

so all you can do, is re-encode the video (thats what youtube does) or record at a lower setting with your gopro.

edit: you can try different media players:

BSplayer is pretty light or try VLC. id normally recommend MPCHC, but that one does require more power than the
other two.

Quick Reply: Feel stupid using the new GoPro Hero2