Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

DON'T Fuggin Run!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 03:17 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DON'T Fuggin Run!!!

thank you, i agree wholeheartedly....

the issue with this debate, as KB so eloquently put it is that it ends in circular reasoning....

however, those who argue that a cop shouldn't pursue which will make things safer is completely ignoring the ramifications of such actions...as much as people want to deny it, fear drives adherence...specifically, you don't stop at a stop sign because you should (i know some people DO), but rather you don't want the off-chance of getting a ticket for it...if you knew that cops didn't care, stop signs would become irrelevant and there would be no penalty for disobeying....

likewise, you start saying that we won't chase in X scenario or Y scenario...all you are doing is giving the criteria by which these people will follow in order to do the same garbage, but this time without consequences....

yes, chases usually end bad, and PERHAPS a chase exacerbates the situation, but the flip side is that if you stop pursuing or stop enforcing the rules, it will likely get WORSE...which will lead to more deaths and injuries...

looking at the math of it....let me break down my reasoning...

with pursuit...100 people are stupid enough to risk it....50 are pursued....10% die in a crash (with or without pursuit)...that's roughly 10 people die....let's add a couple more for the pursuit...say another 10% of those pursued...so 15 total people die with pursuit being in force....

now without pursuit....instead of 100 people, 200 try it now because they know there are no consequences...let's take the same number of percentage dying in a crash...10%...now that's 20 people died...now we can't add the extra buffer of people dying from the pursuit as well, there is no pursuit...but the total number of people is still greater...20

looking at it this way....you stop enforcing the law, more people will join in on the previously illegal activity as there is no consequences...the same percentage of incidents will occur but because the base number is larger, you are still going to be worse off...

these are my thoughts....tear apart at your leisure....