Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Do you freedom ride or belong to a club

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 03:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ride alone almost all the time now. Although it is a lot more lonely and way more boring than riding with my son, I have been out with other folks a few times and all the reconoitering is a pain the popo. Half the time I'd have to ride the distance of one of my usual rides just to get to the starting point. Plus, the chest pounding and competing for coolness is pretty junior high. I guess that's also why I can't stand bars. It's just generally irritating. I guess the range of folks I find enjoyable and interesting is getting a lot more narrow as I age.

And then there is worring about where everyone is. Too many moving parts to keep clear of.

Last year my son and I went to the ROT (Riders of Texas) Rally and it was neat to see SO MANY bikers all around. Slipping in and riding with such a big group was pretty nice. However, the group was so big, that it wasn't "organized" in the bad sense. You came and went as you pleased.

I've signed onto a couple of groups on "meetups.com" but frankly I just can't get motivated to show up.

Riding with my son is easy because we can almost read each other's minds. But that took a while to accomplish.

But, I will say it is warm and cozy here on the board.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:31 PM

i ride solo even though i have a bunch of friends who ride but they ride to show off and i ride for myself so solo is the way for me

Old 09-06-2009, 08:48 PM

99% alone. The downside is that you are on your own. The upside is that you are on your own ! Dont like the "stunting" who got away with the craziest manuever action. Also have issues with folks that will stop every 15 miles. I normally stop for gas, take care of what needs doing ,then "let'er roll ....Groups can be fun , but I generally just ride. Sometime I may attach to the rear of a group depends , but solo is my M.O.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:50 PM

And I know what you mean too. There are two kinds of show offs. The most common is the guy who will try something he doesn't know whether or not he can do and will take a chance to get attention. I can't get far enough away from them.

The other kind is me. I know my limits, and I'm afraid of getting too near them. If I do something to get attention or show off (like little boys will do for little girls) it is just going to be something odd, unexpected or funny, but always safe. I remember when I was in high school I would ride up to school on Saturday when the drill team (unfortunate name, huh?) was practicing, and I would drive up the stairs to the high school door. Got lots of attention. Then get out of there fast.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JHouse
And I know what you mean too. There are two kinds of show offs. The most common is the guy who will try something he doesn't know whether or not he can do and will take a chance to get attention. I can't get far enough away from them.

The other kind is me. I know my limits, and I'm afraid of getting too near them. If I do something to get attention or show off (like little boys will do for little girls) it is just going to be something odd, unexpected or funny, but always safe. I remember when I was in high school I would ride up to school on Saturday when the drill team (unfortunate name, huh?) was practicing, and I would drive up the stairs to the high school door. Got lots of attention. Then get out of there fast.
Given what's on the streets nowadays, wheelies and engine revs aren't impressive anymore.

But someone coming down a street at speed, looking for all intents and purposes like they're going straight on down... until a twitch sends the bike on its side and around the corner. I'd prefer to ride with the guys who'd ride like that. And they're few and far between. So just me, learning my bike and finding my limits

Old 09-09-2009, 12:21 PM

Im thinking that sometimes is great to be in a club or group, the common ideals of being arround people that understand your passion or hobbie and the exchange of tips and skills are completely worth it. The pro community rallys and support of our fellow riders in any sign of trouble.

But there is always someone that likes to be the "showoff" or even worse... the "S.Q.U.I.D." of the group, someone that thinks he knows more or is better skilled than the rest and relies on the club to bail him out of any stupid consecuence from a previus dumm action that this dumm *** took to efect. He gets banned or a citation but he has left a big stain...

And on the other hand, being solo is being free to do and ride were ever you feel like, get a flat... you are on your own, and if accident happens and nobody saw you you are you going to have to wait untill you get some help; and also you can get across some one that is going to pick up on you if you have a different style/brand of bike, so both have ups and downs...

Old 09-09-2009, 12:23 PM

That guy ^^^ is ...

Old 09-09-2009, 05:47 PM

GF has a bike, and so does my buddy - so we've gone out a few times. Be nice to have a few others. Reminds me of both jeep clubs and tacoma clubs I've been a part of -- nice idea but rarely actually 'get together'. Small group of friends probably best -- if I can find some in Orlando.