Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Considering buying a salvage bike. Few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009 | 11:59 PM

It's not so much about the true condition of the bike. I'm just saying your pool of buyers will shrink substantially. It's like selling a house that had the slab repaired or termite damage or a past water leak. It can all be fixed and fine, but it is a ding. And a buyer will know he has to explain it to his buyer, and that is often enough to run someone off.

I considered saying that it is like having a registered sex offender next door. He might be a great neighbor. It all may have been a big mistake. But .......

Old 09-04-2009 | 04:02 AM

There's 2 types of write offs, at least here there is. There is "nonrepairable" and "repairable"
If you buy a bike with a nonrepairable title, there is allmost nothing on earth you can do to get it back on the road legally.
You would have to get another frame with a legit serial number, im not sure if the other serial numbers would have to match. The bike would have to be allmost mechanically perfect when you get it reinspected.
And your insurance might even charge a little more cause it's a "rebuilt" Thats what happend to me because I bought a Ford Tempo with a rebuilt title.

I think if your going to be buying this bike, Id buy it with the intention of using it as a parts bike.

Old 09-04-2009 | 06:41 AM

i think the lure of a 600rr for 500 would interest me too, but as bad as described , this could be an endless fixer, and could likely cost some big buck to get road worthy again, i prob would pass on this one, and im a certified welder and would not be scared of welding it up, but strength will diminish , aluminum doesnt like fracture, and as jules said, if the forks alone are bad that would be a pretty penny. good luck either way

Old 09-04-2009 | 12:52 PM

Run Away! that bike wouldn't even be rideable without a ton of work. Off topic: But I've notices a lot of Salvage Title bikes for sale on the local Craigslist...Why do people think that they can get NADA or Blue Book on Salvage Title bikes in TX? It kills me! Just because you wadded up your bike and still owe $7k doesn't mean it is worth $7k...sorry for the rant.

Old 09-04-2009 | 02:01 PM

+1000. This is a terrible, terrible idea. That bike needs to be thrown into the smelter post-haste. It's a sad fact, but it's true.

Old 09-04-2009 | 02:25 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

Originally Posted by Shopshirt
Run Away! that bike wouldn't even be rideable without a ton of work. Off topic: But I've notices a lot of Salvage Title bikes for sale on the local Craigslist...Why do people think that they can get NADA or Blue Book on Salvage Title bikes in TX? It kills me! Just because you wadded up your bike and still owe $7k doesn't mean it is worth $7k...sorry for the rant.
1st off i hate kbb
2nd i hate nada too

price should be determined by physical appearance, mechanical performance, upgrades (which just because you spent 5k in parts doesnt mean you can slap 5k onto what youre asking for the bike.. lucky to get back 1/2 of what you paid.. and thats stretching it) and most of all the market..both buyers and sellers seem to forget that supply and demand are the basis (sp?) for business. dont ask 3500 for your f1/f2/f3 it isnt worth it. and same dont expect to buy a 06 600rr for 2k.

not all salvage title bikes are garbage and not all clean title bikes should be "clean titled" shop around and you can find great deals just becareful of scammers and be sure to do your homework and know what to look for.. if you dont know , take someone who does !

Last edited by HAVOC; 09-04-2009 at 02:27 PM.