Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

So i got a ticket for running a red light

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So i got a ticket for running a red light

HONESTLY THIS IS THE MOST BS TICKET IN THE WORLD!!

i dont know if this goes for every city/town/where ever you live but in my area, there are weight sensors in the road that detect that there is a car there and it plans out the most efficient traffic patterns. There is a cop sitting in the parking lot right by the sigh (out of the roadway of course) Its like 1:30am and my area has a bunch of old people so its a ghost town after 10pm

The light is red for a good 20 mins. The cross traffic light goes red for a minute, and then goes green again and im sittin here like wtf, i look over at the cops and they are laughin and i say wtf, so i look both ways, nothing is coming for miles so i go. Me on the bike is so light that it doesnt even set off the weight sensor

they turn on their lights and come behind me. I am pleading with them, its dam near 2am, i am tryin to get home from work, and im sitting at the light for 20mins and they saw the cross light go green-red-green. They tell me there is nothing wrong with the light as me and the 2 officers look back and see the light green as there is a car going through it so now im stuck with this ticket...

/rant

how do other cyclist deal with situations like this?

Old 07-18-2009, 07:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fight it!

Old 07-18-2009, 07:12 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

That's a real BS ticket alright. That's the problem with small municipalities is that the police don't have anything better to do (besides writting BS tickets, lol). Next time I'd suggest making a turn, then pull a u-turn, then proceed and take the turn on the street you wanted thereby bypassing the light.
Or you can get one of these: LINK.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:23 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, it sucks.
Sounds like the cops were being kinda unreasonable....

I've had the same problem with lights in my area. (and I'm 220lbs on a CBR1000F.. )

I just look around for cops and then go. I'm not sure what else to do.

To try and make light of it... no pun intended.... I used to drive for work (all around Philly, PA... at night).
My company decided to get me a relief driver and she was supposed to do the Philadelphia run. Well, about 2 weeks after she started, the tickets started rolling in. There were like 8 of them in all....every one addressed to our boss (company car was in his name).
Apparently, she had been running stoplights like a crazy woman, and the cameras were catching all the action.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:44 PM

We have a light just like that as soon as you leave the base and I have to go straight. I'll sit there for ten minutes waiting, so I decided to just start turning right and then pull a Uwy in the road and go my merry way.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:40 PM

Yeah fight it!! That sucks big time! Sorry to jack your thread here bro..This brings up a good question, do those little things that some people advertise even work? It's like a little magnetic? box or something?.. I know that wouldn't work for the weight ones... I dunno. Just thought i'd ask.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:22 AM

Most states have a law that states if you sit at a light for a set number of minutes (I think like 5) then you can treat it like a stop sign and proceed with caution.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:37 AM

Go to court if you have a good record, just fight it on the basis of letter of the law versus the spirit. I can't see a judge no throwing it out if you are rational and logical with your case. A cop most likely won't come to court "out tot get you" and will most likely attest you were there for a long time, or admit he didn't notice.

These situations are why we have courts.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:09 AM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

Originally Posted by ibiggers
Go to court if you have a good record, just fight it on the basis of letter of the law versus the spirit. I can't see a judge no throwing it out if you are rational and logical with your case. A cop most likely won't come to court "out tot get you" and will most likely attest you were there for a long time, or admit he didn't notice.

These situations are why we have courts.
This. Sucks it happened I know how frustrating it can be to sit at a light. Go fight it.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:57 AM

Quick Reply: So i got a ticket for running a red light