Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Considering buying a salvage bike. Few questions...

Old 09-03-2009, 03:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering buying a salvage bike. Few questions...

I am wanting to buy a salvage bike next week. They are asking 500 for it. Its an 05 600rr and in pretty rough shape. ALL the plastics and cluster are held on with zip ties, rear brake pedal is bent, and EVERYTHING on the bike is pretty scratched up. My plan is to get the bike "drivable" to have some fun with. It will just be something I won't worry to much about tearing up.

My question is, the frame is broken in two places. Is the bike even worth 500 with the frame broken? Could I just source a good frame and still come out on top? Is the frame re-weldable? Any info/sites on rebuilding bikes would be greatly appreciated also. Thanks guys...

Kenny

Old 09-03-2009, 03:17 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Kenny, I just don't like the sound of a bike so badly broken that even the frame is broken in two places ... if it had just been all the plastics is one thing but if the frame is damaged what about the engine/crankshaft and the forks ... Even if you got another frame, then what?? ..spend a lot of time transferring broken bits onto it?? ... I think I would look for something that needs less work, why suffer when you don't have to ... maybe someone will give you some better info than me but I just don't like bikes that have had a hard impact....

Good luck!! :-)

Jules

Last edited by Juliet; 09-03-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:33 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

i have 0 problem buying a good condition salvaged title bike.. but that bike you describe is junk... just walk away from it.. if you were planning on stunting the bike i would say reweld the frame but under no other circumstances would i recommend this!

like jules said.. if it was damaged so bad the frame broke everything else must be in **** poor shape. you might be able to salvage some useable parts and make some qucik money off it.. like the motor, wire harness... etc

honestly save your 500, add another 500 and get a cheap f3 and enjoy riding instead of repairing !

Old 09-03-2009, 04:00 PM

RUN, do not walk, RUN.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:08 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you just want a bike to have fun on , get something older but better condition , that rides . Cosmetic damage is ok , but the frame busted in two places

Old 09-03-2009, 04:26 PM

I bought my F3 with damaged plastics and some mildly bent parts for 600, it was running 30 minutes later, you can do better

Old 09-03-2009, 09:48 PM

Here if the bike has a broken or bent frame, it's a tottal write off. And you wouldn't be able to get a title or reregister it.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:36 PM

And when you do buy a salvage bike, the guy you ultimately sell it to will see that on the title too, so you have to get a heck of a deal, because you are going to have to sell it CHEAP.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:52 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

a salvaged title bike isnt as bad as people are lead to believe. for the right price most of us would think nothing of a bike that needed a fairing set head light, tail light and gauge cluster but these components right there are enough to salvage out a bike. the frame motor forks..etc could be perfect but *poof* now the bike is salvaged title... and if people relate that as the same as the bike refrenced above well then you can see how the stereotype of salvaged title being a bad thing gets spread.

also might i ad... i have a friend who wrecked his 05 1krr and flipped it in a ditch 3 times.. still has a clean title and the bike looks great besides a lil bit of damage to teh swing arm cosmetically you probably wouldnt be able to tell it was even downed..

the point of this is .. check the bike, not the title

Old 09-03-2009, 11:55 PM
July 2008 ROTM

^ My F4i is a perfect example of that. Fix up some fairings and other minor parts and BAM:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Considering buying a salvage bike. Few questions...