Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: Would you let someone test ride your bike
Sure, I got full coverage!
2.58%
Depends... If I felt I could trust him with my significant other
30.32%
The only person that can solo my baby is my significant other
8.39%
"**** NO!" can't convey my emotions properly
58.71%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Borrow your bike?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 12:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

bluedevil, if a traffic camera (or a cruiser's dashboard cam) captures your plate, they've got all the evidence they need to make it stick. Then its up to you to prove that it wasn't you.

And I'm not a lawyer but have seen several cases where a vehicle's owner has been held liable in civil and criminal courts for things done while someone else was driving it. I'd really hate to have to test the character of a 'friend' over some dumb chit. Or test the limits of my self control to keep from murdering them

Old 03-22-2010, 01:37 PM
BDT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fearless4x4
in your particular situation i would have to decline his request.

my friend and i both ride and we frequently switch up whose machine we ride. however we are both comfortable with eachothers riding style/ability and have agreed that in the event of something happening it would be repaired or replaced in a timely manner. but thats something between us. he is the only other person who has even placed cheeks on my seat muchless ride it.
I'm the same way with my friends. We all know that if we dump the other guys bike we're gonna have to pay for it.

There's only about 3 people I trust enough to swap bikes with. We've been riding together for years and don't do squidy stuff on the street so I know they wouldn't do anything stupid enough to crash it. We've got a lot of respect for each other.

But... if I don't know you, there's ABSOLUTELY NO WAY you'll be touching my bike.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
maineiack, there isn't a chancer of me delivering the proverbial snowball to Hell so we could measure its miniscule chance that I'd let someone take my bike for a whole weekend. I don't want people posing on it when its stationary and on its stands. No way, no how my bike would be out of my sights for a whole weekend!

And while you're a nice guy and all I highly suggest you consider your liability were something to happen. Since its your bike, in the end you could be assuming some financial liability beyond insurance. Or especially if something were to happen due to a malfunction (you being responsible for maintaining the bike's condition). Won't even go into them getting a ticket and you having to pay it (traffic light / toll cams) or being held as an accessory should they commit a crime using your bike...
hmmmmmmm. never thought of that to be honest with you. guess ive been lucky ha ha. ill keep that in mind. ha ha.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
bluedevil, if a traffic camera (or a cruiser's dashboard cam) captures your plate, they've got all the evidence they need to make it stick. Then its up to you to prove that it wasn't you.

And I'm not a lawyer but have seen several cases where a vehicle's owner has been held liable in civil and criminal courts for things done while someone else was driving it. I'd really hate to have to test the character of a 'friend' over some dumb chit. Or test the limits of my self control to keep from murdering them

its never up to you to prove innocence, its up to the state to prove who did it, but for parking tickets those are the owners responsibility, because they know everyone would just say, oh i wasnt driving it then, but in a moving violation they have to identify the driver

http://www.aolnews.com/story/driver-...-camera/661005

Old 03-23-2010, 10:18 AM

I wouldn't let anyone borrow it, unless I have seen them ride and know they are responsible to take care of any damages sustained.

So, he would have to be a close rider buddy, in which case I can bite my lip. olol

Old 03-23-2010, 12:11 PM

when i first bought my bike i stupidly let a good freind have a go round the block,,,

25 minutes later he returned with a big grin on his face, then looking down at a large pile of cigarette stumps on the floor and a very unhappy snarl, he realised he pished me off big time,, never again

Old 03-23-2010, 12:54 PM

I'm not gonna let anyone use my bike unless I know they can/will pay for it. My uncle is the only one that fits in that category and he's been on a motorcycle for a while. He's the only one with experience and the cash that I know of. He rides a 2009 HD Sportster 1200 and still wants to ride my F3. lol

I'm freaked out enough by letting people sit on my bike.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bluedevil3758
its never up to you to prove innocence, its up to the state to prove who did it, but for parking tickets those are the owners responsibility, because they know everyone would just say, oh i wasnt driving it then, but in a moving violation they have to identify the driver

http://www.aolnews.com/story/driver-...-camera/661005
A jury might find that amusing enough. But a judge will eventually find him guilty, he will spend more money trying to appeal it than the fine and eventually a cop will get pissed enough to charge him with obstruction.

But that's arguing semantics. Vehicle owners have been charged and found guilty when the vehicle was used in the commission of a crime. And in a civil liability suit, a mechanical failure causing injury or damages can fall on the vehicle owner. Since he's responsible for the vehicle's maintenance

Old 03-23-2010, 03:45 PM

other than family, only 2 people have ridden mine
my buddy derrick who's got an 08 600rr that would've been my ride for a while if he'd tore up my f4i and my instructor from my motorcycle mechanics program

Old 03-26-2010, 08:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol this girl I just started dating wants me to teach her how to ride on my bike. (Um... NO) She has never ridden on two wheels and doesn't know how to use a clutch. So yea.... that's going nowhere fast....

Quick Reply: Borrow your bike?