New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

survived being hit by an oncoming vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 10:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default survived being hit by an oncoming vehicle

I've been riding motorcycles for the last 18 years. My husband and I have a passion for riding. We have 2, Ninja 250's, a CBR 600 F4i(mine) and a Superhawk(husband's). We always wear full gear. The ride below, it saved my life.

On 7/23/09 my husband and I were riding our 250's when I was struck by an oncoming vehicle.

I was airlifted to the Hospital with the following:

1. compound fracture femur (left thigh): titanium rod installed (incisons scars, but no cast required.
2. broken right forearm: titanium plate with screws installed (cast for 6 weeks)
3. broken right wrist (cast for 6 weeks))
4. broken right thumb (cast for 6 weeks)
5. perforated spleen (thankfully clotted and healed on it's own)
6. left foot broken in 4 places. (2 surgeries and a cast for 12 weeks)

I survived 4 surgeries and just came home from a three and a half week stint in the hospital. It's really good to be home. I just received a copy of the police report and I'll post the second and third page so everyone can see just how lucky I am to be alive to tell this story. My 250 was destroyed. We retained legal services to deal with this nightmare.

After a month, I really miss riding and hope that soon, I'll heal and be able to get back on because my F4i is calling ever so sweetly from the garage.

~ Becky

Name:  POLICE_REPORT_2B092619_PG2.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  104.9 KB

Name:  POLICE_REPORT_2B092619_PG3.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  34.6 KB

Name:  bike1.jpg
Views: 3
Size:  49.2 KB

Old 08-27-2009, 10:59 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice introductory post ... you're gonna have to walk on water to out do that

So welcome to CBRF! Maybe you're through with crashing and can enjoy motorcycling for the duration.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow you are blessed and lucky to be alive!! Must be hard to stitch seats covers atm too huh?? lol I have a set of your cover for my F4, love em btw!! Get healed up soon!

Old 08-28-2009, 12:37 AM

WOW, I'm just happy that you will be OK. I work in a profession where I see motorcycle accidents all the time, and I have to say you are very very lucky. What did cause the other person to loose control? I would have to say the majority of accidents I see are the riders fault, either from recklessness, pure speed, alcohol, ect.......... I hate seeing when the rider is purely the victim of the accident. I wish you a fast healthy recovery, and get back on the bike soon!

Old 08-28-2009, 10:19 AM
December 2011 ROTM

Welcome aboard Becky! Hope you heal up well so you can get back on your F4i. Great work on the custom seat covers too.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:02 AM

Thanks for the support, the warm welcome and the speedy recovery wishes. They're great. I love motorcycling and the people you find on the forums. It's great to see the friendliness and helpfulness of people during a rough time come to the aid of others.

I for one greatly appreciate the time you guys spend to wish me a quick healing time. I look forward to many long taks with people here.

Being out of work is killing me. My side business has always been the seatcovers for the last five years. I'm still able to do those, but it's very challenging. My other job title is being a ground systems engineer. That pays very well. Unfortunately no work = no paycheck. Yikes and the bills just keep coming in.

Due to all this mess, next week I have to start contacting all the places that are sending me bills to make arrangements for payment plans. Kinda crappy for sure.

Not much to do about it except press on and hoe I heal soon so I can get back to work making those bucks!

Meanwhile, I'll just surf the net and make new friends.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by customseatcreations
Thanks for the support, the warm welcome and the speedy recovery wishes. They're great. I love motorcycling and the people you find on the forums. It's great to see the friendliness and helpfulness of people during a rough time come to the aid of others.

I for one greatly appreciate the time you guys spend to wish me a quick healing time. I look forward to many long taks with people here.

Being out of work is killing me. My side business has always been the seatcovers for the last five years. I'm still able to do those, but it's very challenging. My other job title is being a ground systems engineer. That pays very well. Unfortunately no work = no paycheck. Yikes and the bills just keep coming in.

Due to all this mess, next week I have to start contacting all the places that are sending me bills to make arrangements for payment plans. Kinda crappy for sure.

Not much to do about it except press on and hoe I heal soon so I can get back to work making those bucks!

Meanwhile, I'll just surf the net and make new friends.
Wow, what a blessing that you are alive, not to mention able to heal up to ride again! So glad to hear that.

Your unfortunate accident makes me remember how glad I am that my financial advisor persuaded me to buy short term and long term disability insurance policies to pay me if I can't work due to a similar event

Get well soon - it sounds like there are MANY fans of your custom seat covers

Old 08-29-2009, 07:37 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best wishes on a full and speedy recovery!

We always wear full gear.
Amen.

Welcome to CBRF!!

Old 08-30-2009, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by cbrmeasap

Your unfortunate accident makes me remember how glad I am that my financial advisor persuaded me to buy short term and long term disability insurance policies to pay me if I can't work due to a similar event
Thought I was covered on that one. Turns out I had to work for my company for 6 months to get the disability pay. Accident happened at month 4......arghhh......also you have to be working full time even at the 6 months to get the pay. No work = no paycheck or disability pay....really sucks. I'm laid up for three months with no pay.