Can oncoming traffic really see flushmounts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 12:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can oncoming traffic really see flushmounts?

Hey guys, Im thinkin about getting flush mounts on my bike but Im kind of concerned about the safety aspect of them. I feel like they may be hard to see from the front and I was just wondering what you guys thought about them. I know they look awesome, but I want to make sure they aren't too invisible before I get them. I don't really know much about them and they may be perfectly find but I just wanted to see what everyone though. If I do get them any suggestions on the type or brand?

Old 04-16-2011, 12:48 PM

I am very hesitant to change mine to flush mounts for exactly the reason you mention. There are a lot of bad drivers on the road who are distracted on cell phones and preocuppied. While the flush mounts look great, I am going to keep mine stock for now.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:21 PM

If you get true flush mounts then no oncoming traffic will not be able to see them...I'm having that problem with the flush mounts I have on my f4i plastics now..What I am going to do is just use my front flush mounts for running lights and buy some of the integrated turn signal mirrors for safety

Old 04-16-2011, 01:25 PM

Meh I guess they're not as visible but they look about 10,000 times better. At night it isn't an issue assuming you get a quality LED unit since they light up well).

I drove Isabelle around for years with no front turn signals whatsoever - flushmount or otherwise

Old 04-16-2011, 06:09 PM

Proton flushmounts are very visible, though they are not a true "flushmount". they are rounded so they do stick out a bit. I can stand in front of my bike and see them very well from quite a distance. I had the same questions you did when i was searching for flushmounts. I found hotbodies to be the worst. Watsens i wasnt sure of because they seem to be actually flushmounts but i guess they are visible from the front....I ended up going with the Protons for my 09 600rr because they seemed the brightest and the pictures of them looked like they could be visible from the front.... well now that i have them I can confirm that Protons are VERY visible from the front...as well as the sides.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:42 PM

Looks > Safety? Hahah

Old 04-16-2011, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by BurtonSnwBoarder
Looks > Safety? Hahah
People don't ride motorcycles because they're the safest mode of transportation.

With that said I certainly wear my gear and try to maintain a high level of awareness about my surroundings.

Maybe everyone should drive around in old school hummers

Old 04-16-2011, 09:17 PM
August 2011 ROTM

I have Watsens and not sure if people can see it during the day. I will take a video both day and night and let you see. I was thinking about changing my mirror to the ones with turn signal

Old 04-16-2011, 09:32 PM

Educate me, I guess, but I would think one should be more worried about whether their rear signals can be seen rather than their fronts. Personally, I don't know of many situations where your front signals would be of any use on a bike. The only situation I can think of that comes to mind is a four way intersection with stop signs or lights, you stopped in one direction wanting to turn left, a car facing the opposite direction also wanting to turn left. They would have to wait for you to pass if you were going straight before turning, but if they can't see/notice your signals, they'd just sit there like a knot on a log. Other than that scenario, I don't see why your front signals would be of any use.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:44 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can't see 99% of flushmounts from the front in daylight. I noticed this last summer when some woman almost ran over a bike at a 4 way stop when she thought he was going straight.
They both stopped and then went at the same time and he almost got hit, then almost dumped it.

I don't really give a chit what people do to their bikes, but it's a fact that they're hard to see.

Edit: Yep, that's it, Patches. I was mid-reply when you posted (dogs needed to go out..lol)

Quick Reply: Can oncoming traffic really see flushmounts?