New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Safty issues..

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 12:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safty issues..

Hey guys. I posted here a bit back with some questions. I plan to get an f4i or f4 in the next few months. I will be taking all the classes before then and will be wearing a helmet and gloves at least at all times. I was mentally prepared for all of this untill today. I got word a few hours ago that a memeber of my gfs family died today. He was riding his bike( old guy like 60s so i would guess a hog or something of that sort) and was clipped. Im not sure what safty equipment he had, and any other information about it but it did shake me up a bit. I was finally getting my gf to be ok with the bike idea and now this. Im really worried about other drivers out there. I am only planning to drive it every now and then and only small distances most of the time. I plan to be very aware when riding. How often (for the guys who do more cruising then riding hard) to you run into bad drivers and big issue, even when your really paying attention? I really want to get involved in the sport bike culture but not at the expense of my life. I love the lititle riding that I have done. Give me some input please.

Old 05-31-2007, 12:46 AM
Retired Administrator
Default RE: Safty issues..

Bad drivers are everywhere. Helmet and gloves are a good start, but you may want to pick up a jacket too. I know it gets hot, but sweat is easier to deal with than road rash.

As most things in life, if you plan for it and take steps to prevent accidents.... they may never happen. If you think it will never happen and ignore it... hello hospital.

You can do so many things to stay safer, like never, never ride near any vehicles blind spot, watch the drivers head as you're over taking a car.... it's funny how people sometimes look where they're going, but never use a turnsignal. Avoid cars with temp tags because they are still trying to figure out how to turn on the radio. Ride with confidence, not arrogance. What ever you tangle with, will win.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:00 AM

As far as the question about how often you run into bad drivers... it's the same as when you are driving your car -- except it only pisses you off in your car. On your bike it may injure you or worse if you aren't aware and follow Don's advice above.

Everything we do has risks... do everything you can to stack the deck in your favor.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:48 AM

turns out..he hit some rocks and slipped.. the details are still fuzzy. how major is that issue( rocks,sand etc. on the road)

Old 05-31-2007, 07:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as said above, may want to look into a leather jacket. something i read on here sticks w/ me on those HOT HOT days in my leather jacket..........."id rather sweat than bleed", just remember that. and the danger is out there everywhere. you can suddenly die after jumping out of bed! cant tip toe through life. get the bike (if you want) and just enjoy it.

as for the dangers of rocks/sand in the road, its there!!!! you just have to learn to scan the road far ahead of you as you ride. you will do it w/o even thinking, it will be natural after a little while. and that is something you'll learn in the MSF class.

if its what YOU want, go for it. if you dont you could regret it down the road!

be safe and have fun!

Old 05-31-2007, 11:18 AM

Welcome back.....take the MSF course. It will teach you all you need to know. Buy frame sliders and take it easy your first month out....

Old 06-01-2007, 10:29 AM

i agree to take the course, but for gravel and stone remember this tip a old biker told me years back, ignore you back break on the road and ignore your front on the gravel, might help you out...take it easy the first season would be a better idea instead of the first month.

Old 06-02-2007, 03:13 AM

Hi Rooster you old ****!Hahaha j/k Take the course, absolotely, for sure. Helmut and gloves are obvious, add leather or textile jacket and pants and condom.........oh not the last one.
Seriouly though, even if I'm just going down the street to the store I'll wear a leather jacket and jeans. If I'm going for a 4 hr. marathon ride with the crew I'll rock the full leather suit......Frankly, I'd feel vulnerable with out it.

Welcome and be safe.