New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

new rider, riding tips

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 04:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new rider, riding tips

hey guys i recently purchased my first sportbike, CBR600 and I want a few tips on how to properly ride at higher speeds for when i gain experience. I see people riding in a full tuck at 70-80mph and i feel that it is not needed unless track riding. am i correct? also can you show me pictures or explain how to proplery "tuck" because i ride how i feel is right. any input on body positioning and corning is also appreciated. Also i have been riding a duelsport on the road on and off for about a year and a dirtbike for 15 years so riding is not completely new and i feel comfortable with my vision and scanning for cars backing out ext....
Thanks!

Old 12-27-2009, 05:28 AM

Welcome to the forums! You should take a MSF course it helped me a whole lot, plus you will get a discount from your insurance. They teach you basic maneuvers like swerving, taking a corner, breaking and a whole lotta other stuff that will definitely come in handy. From what I read breaking on a bike is different than a dirtbike, trust me the class is worth it.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:10 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Experience Rider Course offered by the MSF might give you some pointers. Though the MSF tends to give the very basics to the rider, so he knows right from wrong. Actual tips about your individual skills will depend on the instructor and time availible. During the BRC, my instructors ignored me for the most part (except during the figure 8) and concentrated on teaching others how to stay on the bike I still second taking the MSF, prolly both courses (Basic Rider and Experienced Rider Courses). Though fair warning: the BRC classroom portion is liable to put anyone with any experience to sleep (umm... did you really just ask me where the throttle is?).

Your particular situation I'd recommend a couple things.
  • Take the MSF courses, for the insurance discount and practice if anything. Really, the MSF doesn't concentrate on sport bikes tho. They are about riding in general. And there were quite a few differences between my CBR and the little 250 cruisers they had me on during the BRC. Seriously, those things made my *** hurt!
  • While waiting for that to come about, pick up a book. The Twist of the Wrist series by Keith Code is... well, "excellent" isn't a good enough description. Twist of the Wrist 2 is actually a better starting point than the first one. Another good book is Total Control by Lee Parks. Total Control is more technical than the Twist of the Wrist books.
  • Remember this is about you and how you ride. A lot of things, like body positioning, will depend on what makes you feel comfortable. Even if you get into track racing, there really is no set "you must ride like this" style. If it works for you, GO FOR IT
  • Track days are where you'll learn performance riding. A good track school will teach you the details about cornering, throttle control and positioning.

Welcome aboard! Learn at your own pace and try to keep the rubber side down

Last edited by Kuroshio; 12-27-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:56 PM

Are the insurance discounts significant after taking the MSF course? would it be worth it?

Old 12-28-2009, 05:59 PM

Depends on the carrier and the policy. A mere liability, prolly not. On comprehensive, yes.

The class is worth it, discount or not, for a new street rider. Even if you have dirt experience, I'd recommend the Experienced Rider Course. When its time to do the figure 8, you'll realize just how much you don't know. Especially if you have to do it on a street bike

Old 12-28-2009, 06:06 PM

I agree, coming from someone that never took the class. There are definitely big differences from dirt and street. There are lots of little tips and tricks to watch out for your own *** on the street.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:53 AM

Thanks for the help guys! i am deffiently planing on taking the classes. I do not have my license yet but I live and got my permit and my drivers license in california and i go to school in arizona. does anyone know the laws on this? I'm thinking that i would have to come back to california to take the classes? correct me if i am wrong.
Thanks

Old 01-03-2010, 04:29 PM

.. i would think you could take the course where ever you wanted then take the documentation to cali to get your license..MSF courses are taught by different organizations (ABATE here in indy) but i believe they are all governed by the MSF organization..but thats my 2cents..the class is worth it regardless..if you know anything about riding you will be bored for the first day or so but then it will hit you that you have so much to learn on a streetbike..oh and Welcome!

Old 01-03-2010, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by jackw2
Thanks for the help guys! i am deffiently planing on taking the classes. I do not have my license yet but I live and got my permit and my drivers license in california and i go to school in arizona. does anyone know the laws on this? I'm thinking that i would have to come back to california to take the classes? correct me if i am wrong.
Thanks
The only time residency should matter is if there's a discount for residents. Like here in PA, MSF courses are free for PA residents.