F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Riding tips...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding tips...

Hey all...

This is a repost from a thread that started as a "Shifting" thread and morphed into more "handling" which I want to pursue, so to stay on subject I thought that I would repost threads that apply and go from there, sorry about the repost, but I thought that I / we could gather more information from some seasoned riders, so thanks!

Here is past moments:

RE: shifting.... - 7/1/2006 12:42:22 PM

Flyin_F4
Starting Member

I'm telling you, this is about to drive me nuts, I am a skilled driver (car) that has been into ProSolo SCCA racing for years with Early Datsun 240 Z cars and this motorcyce thing is a whole new learning process.

The good news is that I respect the bike very much, and yes, it scares the shi* outa me!

So yea, thanks for the shifting advice as it seems like a stupid question, it just downshifts so smooth without a clutch it almost seems as if the gears are made to do it... Again, as much as that sounds stupid.

Today I think that I am going to work on the slow manuvers as this is the hard part to master, and work on employing the "friction zone". I found a great website for those of you that wanna know on a bunch of tips:

www.ridemyown.com/articles/riding/index.shtml

There is some great advice in there (at least for me).

Well I'm off, and once I get some batteries for the cam, I will post those pics.

Have a great day! Perfect riding weather here, now if I can just get the hang of it!!!!

~Brian

RE: shifting.... - 7/1/2006 12:51:23 PM

insidejoke

Good luck and nice website find. Let us know how it goes!

2004 CBR600F4i
Black / Yellow
100% Stock
Baltimore, Maryland

RE: shifting.... - 7/1/2006 1:55:54 PM

Flyin_F4
Starting Member

Thanks!

Just remember three things for me:

9-1-1.

Have a great day!

~B

RE: shifting.... - 7/1/2006 2:18:22 PM

snowboarding82
Starting Member

Hey Flyin I loved the link! I'm actually gonna go practice some of that stuff right now. Those slow turns are still a little bit tricky for me and I'm afraid of dumping my bike doing them.

RE: shifting.... - 7/3/2006 1:11:02 PM

Flyin_F4
Starting Member

Hey Snowbarding82...

How did the slow manuvers go?

I didn't get much time on 'er this weekend, it seemed that everything else kept popping up, and being only permitted i try to not get to much "alone time" anyway, i am sure that the local law enforcement would have an issue with that, the bike is insured but still, I am not sure what the punishment is in Oregon, but I am not wanting to find out either...

I had on IDIOT tailgating me this weekend... What the HELL are people thinking, I wanted to put my boot thru his grill. DAMMIT. Don't relish the idea of becoming a bumber bolt due to a dumbass.

Thanks again for the shifting advice, going with the clutch by the way...

Have a great day!

~bri

RE: shifting.... - 7/3/2006 4:01:18 PM

snowboarding82
Starting Member

Flyin-
Still kind of tricky especially the U-turns it's just kind of scary not wanting to lay a brand new bike down and then look like a retard with it all scratched up. I do feel a little more comfortable now though from practicing.

Old 07-05-2006, 07:39 PM
Default RE: Riding tips...

Well I went 100mph yesterday on my bike. Fastest I've ever gone on it. I feel really comfortable accept changing lanes was tricky. Seems like the bike really wants to just go forward and I had to fight to move it. Thats to be expected though I'm guessing. I still seem to have a problem turning right especially at higher speeds. Going left just seems so natural and easier to do. As far as the slow maneuvers, I still will "freak out" and look where I don't want to go then start heading that way. I guess I just have to keep telling myself to look where I want to go and dont look at the side of the road! lol

Mike

Old 07-06-2006, 12:36 AM

Watch out buddy, don't become a statistic on us here...

Sounds like you need to trust the lean a bit more, I have the same issue, but it gets better with time and trust in the bike / myself.

I am staying off the triple digits until I get more miles under the fenders. And like you said, as time goes, it gets easier!

Hope everyone had a safe 4th!

~brian

Old 07-06-2006, 02:18 PM

yea no need to be doing 100 if you are not even confident in looking through your turns. i would say slow down! get some miles under your belt first