General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding Tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 09:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding Tips

Hey guess what? Ok ill tell yah. I got my new bike out today for the first time and froze my a** off. I just couldnt wait any longer. The streets were clear and it was about 35 no more than 40 degrees. LOL Anyway i was going to ask you guys if you have any riding tips or advice about shifting or little problems you had learning to ride your first sport bike? Me, right now I cant turn off my turn signal with out hitting the horn and for some reason I'm skipping 2nd gear sometimes when i shift up. anyone else have this problem or you know maybe its just me because i keep forgetting what gear im in oh well. LOL

-Tom-

Old 01-25-2005, 11:17 PM
Default RE: Riding Tips

Hi,

IMHO...The things you're having trouble with are just a matter of getting used to the bike. Getting the feel for where the controls are located is something that will come in time. Same goes for knowing what gear you're in. At this point, I can tell what gear I'm in just by the sound of the engine...but still forget on ocassion Can't say I've ever 'skipped' a gear though.

Just take it slow and easy Tom...you'll get to know your bike...treat her right and she'll treat you right...which is more than I can say for a lot of women...lol

Old 01-26-2005, 12:39 AM

your proubly shivering so much from the cold your poor thumb dont know what the hell to do!!

Old 01-26-2005, 01:48 AM

Are you skipping a gear or just not getting it into second gear on the first try?? If you are not getting the shift to "stick" it may be that the shift lever needs to be adjusted?? If you are skipping gears ( 2nd to 3rd with no stop in 2nd) that could be a problem... Shift fork, shift drum or both = EXPENSIVE and a motor teardown unfortunately if that is the problem....Hopefully not

Old 01-26-2005, 02:00 AM

that sounds bad!

motor teardown sux!

Old 01-26-2005, 06:12 PM

Tom,
I agree with RumbleFish. Just ride easy until you get used the bike. If you really want to learn how to ride the bike, spend the money on a weekend riding course. The benefits are priceless. What applies to the track, applies to the street. Jason Pridmore, Reg Pridmore, and others have weekend courses you can take to become a better overall rider. I've taken weekend courses and have done track days and they are all very beneficial. My 2 cents. Hope this helps.

QuiK

Old 01-26-2005, 06:37 PM

QuiK's suggestion is right on!...riding courses & track days will make you a safer, more confident and ultimately better rider.

RF

Old 01-26-2005, 09:01 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've read that 90% of bike crashes occur on a bike owned 6 mos or less. If that's true then getting to know a bikes handling characteristics is pretty important. I think a couple of peeps on this board have gone down (nothing severe thank God) after only a few weeks of ownership.

Old 01-26-2005, 09:57 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I did plan on finding a track i could ride on to get more of a feel for the handling and turning cause ive heard alot of stories about people making too sharp of a turn(not to avoid any type of accident) and the back end sliding out.

sirlimpzalot- i rode the bike today and guess i wasnt getting it 2nd and thats why i was miscounting the gears. that does sound pretty expensive to all that done. hope i never ever have to do that. thanks

-Tom-

Old 01-27-2005, 02:37 AM

If you can't get to, or afford a class or track day, right away...You might want to pick up a copy of Keith Code's book 'A Twist of the Wrist' (there's vols. 1 & 2)...There are others and I'm sure there's some on video/DVD...Lots of great riding tips

RF

Quick Reply: Riding Tips