New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

riding tips

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 11:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default riding tips

I found this online and want to share it with you all.

1. Always wear a helmet even if you are just going around the block.

2. Never cross railroad tracks at an angle. They are slick! If possible, cross straight on.

3. When you are following semi-trailers (or cars) on the interstate... always follow directly behind their wheels. Reason: If they straddle the dead animal, brick o block, etc.. in the road, you will not have enough reaction time to change directions if you are following directly "centered" behind them. I usually do the same with cars.

4. Fast food places. Be careful when you pull up to the drive through window!! This area is always covered with oil from idling cars. Watch your footing. Be forewarned. also...Toll Booths! Oil drippings mixed with AC condensation makes it impossibly slippery exactly where you want to put your foot down to pay the toll. Contributed by Sir Mike in Shakopee, MN

5. DO NOT RIDE IN FORMATION!! (Side by Side) To many things can go wrong and in formation.. if you screw up, you can take your partner down with you.

6. Always... always... always... expect the car, truck, van etc.. to pull out in front of you. Always believe that they DO NOT SEE YOU. Even if they are looking directly into your eyes. *Watch the tires of the vehicle not the eyes of the driver. The drivers eyes might be looking one way and telling you he is stopped but if that car moves you will see it while looking at the tires. *Contributed by Michael S. Vecchione / Virginia

7. Car phones!! If you see someone talking on a car phone... be afraid. He is your enemy!! He is not paying attention to you or the road. Statistically causes as many accidents as a drunk.

8. Braking!!! Until integrated braking is released on our beloved K12's our front brake is 80% of your braking power. Get used to braking with ONLY your front brake. Go to a large parking lot and practice until it's first nature.

9. Counter Steering. Learning this technique will save your life! All racers use this method. In a nutshell... pull on the right handlebar and you go left or pull on the left handlebar and you go right or..the method I use is the exact reverse.... push lightly on your left handlebar and you'll go left.. or push right... go right. Learn the physics..Learn it until it's second nature because many times in an emergency situation, you have only reaction time... not thinking time.

10. One simple rule for me has been eliminating the blind spot to zero. Knowing whose around you at all times without having to turn your head all the time is one way to stay alive. Adding little blind spot mirrors on the bike can do that.

11. Braking Part 2. Always complete your braking BEFORE you enter a curve. Example: On any approaching curve.. do all your braking before you start to lean into the curve. In the curve you have the choice of either coasting through it or accelerating through it.

12. Always wear gloves. In the summer..at the very LEAST.. wear fingerless gloves. WHEN you do go down.. your hands will take most of the impact. We're talking serious road-rash here.

[font="times new roman, times, serif"][size="2"]13. Check the tire press

Old 02-05-2007, 12:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: riding tips

Dude, what on earth are you doing!!!
Information overload!!!!
Please read the Forum rules!!!
You posted the same thing on every forum!!!

Admin's going to get pissed!! You will get FLAMED!!!
Just a warning.

I know you are trying to share helpfull info but read the rules please.

Name:  ridingtips.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  102.8 KB [sm=boosign.gif]