New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New person type questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 10:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New person type questions

what up yall! I had been into the car fixing up scene for the better part of the last 7 years. Like most guys here that do that, i secretlly wanted a bike. Every trendy *** bastard down here (in El Paso) knows that even a 600 will whomp on a GT Mistake... i mean... mustang anyday(WOOO!!!) and chicks dig em! Anyways, thanks to my loving girlfreind 2 weeks ago i finally got a 2006 Honda CBR 600F4i. And, i have some interesting questions...
1. can EVERYONE expect to fall at some point in their riding lifetime? I hear everyone saying "My first time..." like its gonna happen no matter what. I DONT WANNA FALL!!! Man sometimes i look down at that road on the highway and think "Jesus theres nothing between me and that pavement" OUCH.
2. Do people ride in the rain? I sold my truck becuz it was a big *** ford f150 triton V8 gettin like 10 miles per gallon. My girlfreind bought a new car, so we have that for like travel and stuff, but basically my bike is my only transport.
3. How can i convince my girl to ride with me?!?!?

Old 08-05-2006, 10:58 PM
Default RE: New person type questions

haha I just recently got me an 06 600rr and my 1st time riding...i dropped it...[:'(]...sucked...but i guess theres a few lucky guys that have been riding for a while and havent dropped thier bike...and i dont think riding in the rain is recommeded hahaha ive never tried it.

Old 08-05-2006, 11:30 PM

ridden in the rain, I dont like getting wet though, and never dropped a bike, owned many. Came close one time though, the kick stand was not down all the way, I was getting off and notice the bike started to fall, I dove in to catch it, and horray, saved it! it was only about 6 inches from the ground when I caught it, and it was heavy with momentum, almost didnt make the save. Get some frame sliders, they will protect the plastic...

And for your girlfriend problem, get some other hot chicks to ride with you, there are plenty that will, and she'll get jelous and want to ride with you, or she'll dump you, and you can go out with one of the other hot chicks, problem solved.

Old 08-06-2006, 12:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Yes, you can expect to fall at some time. You may not even have to be moving very fast or at all but you will fall. Human error.
2. I don't leave my house in the rain. If I get caught in it, I will continue on to seek shelter or to get home but never leave the house in rainy conditions. The water (hydroplane) is too unpredictable.
3. Get into a calm mood and talk to your girl about the nice slow rides you do and take her on one. Stay loose and calm and do nothing to frighten her. Once she rides once......she's gotten!

Old 08-06-2006, 03:20 AM
Mad

sweet bike.. post pics..

I think about falling all the time. I got squeezed on the freeway while I was lane splitting because of a traffic accident (It was my first lane split). It was hotter than hell and traffic was moving at about 10 mph with much stop and go. I thought it was uncalled for the gentlemen (being nice) to jerk his van over but whatever. Anyhow, I bumped my shoulder against his van and dropped my legs to balance myself; scared the S*** out of me. I thought I was going down. Embarrassing because I am a new rider.. I try to anticipate everything but after reading MANY MANY posts on this forum I am convinced that now matter what you will eventually go down. Life sucks!!!

I've never rode in the rain. I started to ride once when it started but turned around and went back home. It doesn't rain much in SOCAL so if it does you can guarantee the roads will be like ice for the first few hours. I don't want to take the chance. I grew up in Oregon and rode my Honda Hawk ALL THE TIME. I don't think I will ever ride in the rain again unless I am stuck while I am in San Diego.

As far as getting your girl to ride with you do you mean on your back or with her own bike? My wife went to visit family so the next day I went out and bought a helmet, jacket, gloves for her and my girls. As soon as I am better they are jumping on the back. I don't think there is anything sexier than a hot chick on the back of a sportbike; I mean my wife. My girls are just cute. ha ha..

Old 08-06-2006, 06:01 AM

They say there are 2 types of riders. those who have droped a bike and those who are gonna drop a bike. The best way to get around this is buy a piece a crap to learn on and try to get your droping out of the way with it. As far as rain goes. It can be done however, if you do make sure to relube your bike and avoid standing water. ( and all the idiots who freak out when it rains.)

Old 08-07-2006, 12:52 AM

I've dropped every bike I own (3 of them) at least once and sometimes twice. Being female I have less upper body strength, so my lean "point-of-no-return" is high compared to most men. For the most part the drops consisted of the leaning past the point where I can yank it back up, so I ease it to the ground, get off and after the appropriate number of obscenities usually get it back up.
I've had 3 accidents - one did a fair amount of dammage to the faring and I had to replace some (expensive) plastic on the XX. The very 1st sport bike ( an '81 GPZ1100) I owned was totalled by a gal who ran a red light to hit me. The Nighthawk went down when I hit an oil slick leaned over in a curve. None resulted in serious injury.
Riding in the rain; until I retired 3 years ago, I rode my bike to work daily 12 months of the year for over 20 years. I live in the Pacific NW - the rain capital of the country. Since I planned to do (and did) a fair amount of touring, I figured I'd rather learn to drive in all kinds of weather here at home on roads I'm familiar with than half way across the country on roads I'm totally unfamiliar with. It isn't always convenoent to hole up in a motel for hours, days, etc. while waiting for the rain to stop. I wound up driving in all kinds of weather - including sleet, freezing rain and snow. Made for some interesting rides home in the morning.
You do have to adjust your riding style a bit to accomodate slippery roads and watch out for cars even more than in good weather. It's probably not something a beginner should attempt until they have a few miles under their belt.
Getting your girl to ride pillion. Don't even think about it until you have some experience both on the road and on that particular bike. Your GF has good self preservation instincts if she's refusing to ride with a novice rider. Let her be until you're more proficient. Wear good gear! Convince her you're serious about safety!
Terry

Old 08-07-2006, 11:12 AM

Hello & Welcome!!

1) Most likely everyone will go down or at least drop the bike, at some point or another. You must try not too! Ride to eliminate risks! I didn't think I would go down, until the one day I didn't feel like riding and I rode anyway, I got cut off by a car. Don't ride if you don't feel up to it!
2) Yes, sometimes you just get caught. No rider likes the rain.
3) Show caution and skill and maybe you'll convince her. Maybe ask to take her around the block before asking her to go all day long. Let her get comfortable on it with gradual steps.

Old 08-08-2006, 05:21 PM
oNi

Grats on the purchase and Welcome to the forum!

1. Statistics probably show your gonna fall eventually whether while riding or just at a standstill/going slow, but if your careful enough and ride smart you just might go without dropping it. I just dropped mine the other day for the first time from a standstill, sucks but we learn from it.

2. Some people dont mind riding in the rain, I finally did it couple weeks ago not by choice but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The riding part was fine but the first time a car drove by me and splashed watered on my windscreen it caught me off guard but then I got used to it.

3. Not too sure on that there, been single since I started riding so I can't help ya there, but I wouldn't mind having your problem!