New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New person, lots of questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 07:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New person, lots of questions

Hello everyone
I am new to this site, and kind of new to sport bikes. I love to ride and have been riding for a year or so now. I presently own a Yamaha 600 YZF. No cringging please. Anyhow i got the bike used and put a few thousand miles on it. I am feeling like i am out growing it already. I want a honda, bad!! I was going to buy a CBR when i first started to ride, but i knew the guy at Honda dealership and he sugguested a starting bike. I respect his opinion. Now i am ready for a new bike.
I have talked to a lot of people and the opionions vary. Thus i came to the Forum to ask real CBR owners there opinion. I don't know wether to get a 600 or a 1000? I am 5' 11 and about 195 lbs., I am also 35 not that it makes too much difference. I would say i enjoy riding, backroads, a little highway but love the back roads!!! I am not into trick riding, although i have a lot respect for the people that have that talent to do that.
I would have to say my riding style is a bit more on the conservative side, right now anyhow. I got my permit, and than took the PA motorcycle safety classes to obtain my licience. I always wear a helmet, jacket and riding pants. I have never laid a bike down (street bike anyhow) or been in any accidents. I mean a few close calls as i was learning. The people i ride with vary from crusiers to other sport bike owners. I tend to stay away from the extreme riders.
Wow that was long, any way any feed back would help. Thanks a lot!!

Old 05-01-2007, 10:57 AM
Default RE: New person, lots of questions

yes that was long, but informatiive on your style of riding.

first of Welcome to the group-almost you need a Honda

600 vs 1000 can likely start a huge debate.- if you get a 1000 you'll poke your eye out! type of stuff. there are many valid points to both sides of this argument.

My opinion, based on what you are saying, based on your age, and time on the bike, and conservative style, is that you could be happy with either. You could survive on a 1000, but I wouldnt recommend it, for the following reasons:

1)based on your riding style- do you really need a 1000? A 600 will go just a fast throught the twistys
2)600's are (biased opion here) more forgiving = fun in the twistys
3)1000's are not forgiving- they will throw you in a second, or just take you right off the road. Not that a 600 wont do the same, but the throttle is much more forgiving on a
600 than on a 1000.
4)insurance is slightly cheaper on the smaller cc
5)the new CBR 600 is just BAD ***.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:29 AM

+1 Get a 600.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:52 PM

Well im gonna disagree for once...i rode my 89 600 for 7 years and an 03 600 for another year and just made the jump to a 1000....WOOOOOO HOOOOO...if you think u out rode your Yamaha reward your patience and get the thrill youve been waiting for..get the 1000,,your gonna love it ..it has mad power and isnt as heavy as some people seem to think it is..its 16 lbs heavier than my 03..and alot more "flickable" than alot people would think....id say the 1000 would be the reward your looking for...im 37..5'11...180

Old 05-01-2007, 01:05 PM

Wow thanks for insite. I am looking to buy in a month or so. So thanks for any and all feed back. Keep em coming!!

Old 05-01-2007, 01:39 PM

ok, this isnt my usual opinion, but since this guy is more experienced than the usual run of-the-mill new guy to the forum, i'll say this:

after everyone talks about how much more horsepower the 1000 has over the 600, and how it will kill you and whatnot,i should point out thatsome people believe that the 1000 is a better street bike for the experienced rider,for a couple ofreasons..

1. it has muchmore torque(close to double the 600s), you can leave the line harder, and pull into intersections a little faster in heavy traffic. or get out of someone's way in a hurry if they dont see you

2. the engine doesnt rev quite so high. so you wont be doing the 600cc tap dance on the gearshift nearly as much

i ride a 600rr btw

Old 05-01-2007, 04:31 PM

yea im kinda gonna say to go with the 1000 just cause ur more experienced and u already have had 600 and if u think u outgrew that then another 600 probably wont give u what u want but i still think that most people never even get to the absolute limit of their bikes even when they have a 600 but for u i would say the 1000 everyone else posted good reasons why

Old 05-01-2007, 05:26 PM
Retired Administrator

You and I are in the same age range and your riding style seems to be the same as mine, plus I've got a few pounds on you. I'm sticking with a 600. I've rode for years, but I've never spent much time on a liter bike. Don't feel the need. When I'm out riding, I'm riding for me, not trying to keep up with anyone else. If you're really riding twisties, then a liter bike is over kill. I guess what I'm saying... the day I can ride my 600 on my back roads to it's limits and walk away from the trip, I may consider the extra money for a liter bike.

But you're the only one that can answer this question. Just keep in mind, two or three years is a big difference with technology sportbikes.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:04 PM

My opinion is that a 600 would be more than enough fun for you.

I'm pretty new to this too, and have no regrets on my 600rr. Certainly, after a year, I have
no desire to go up to a 1000, and I ride much the same as what you describe.

600rr is great fun, and plenty powerful for any road I've been riding on.

Good luck, and welcome...

Old 05-01-2007, 09:47 PM
Banned

Get the 1000 for no other reasn then you won't ever say 'what if ' or ' I shoulda '. But have you ever ridden your bike while in the powerband and say to yourself ' this thing is too slow' ? If you have, get a literbike if you haven't, still get the literbike. Why not right?

Quick Reply: New person, lots of questions