F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Chain is about worn out questions on changing gearing & chain type

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 10:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chain is about worn out questions on changing gearing & chain type

My f4i has around 13k on it now and the chain has gotten past the wear indicator or the tensor. Seems to have stretched quickly with me recently working on doing wheelies. Looking to get a new chain and probably sprockets here soon as what ive heard is recommended to change them together but still iffy on what gearing ratio to go with and chain weight? Thickness? (not sure what the number is a measure of)

I commute to work and class primarily but like to ride hard here and there and am going to be going to the track. My thoughts were to go down one in the front and leave the rear alone. Im content with my bike but would enjoy some extra zip. I really am not sure at all what to do with the chain. Alot of people go to the 520 but i dont want to get something that is going to wear exceedingly fast and need replaced again soon.

If i were track riding would be mid ohio or putnam park if that helps with suggestions on gearing.

Also curious what people get out of chain and sprockets mileage wise assuming keeping lubed and adjusted properly.

Any info on brands or where to buy would be good too.

Thanks

Old 06-28-2012, 10:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from what i understand the 520 isnt going to wear significantly faster than the 525.ALOT of people have done the 520 conversion.... it depends on what your looking for as far as gearing... 16/46 is stock and 15/48 is "quick acceleration kit" i recently bought a 520 conversion kit from sprocketcenter.com and got the quick acceleration kit 15/48 sprockets and a 110 link DID chain... its the superlite series so its significantly lighter but still has the durability... i would reccommend sprocketcenter for the fact of its the cheapest ive found and it has quality chains and sprockets (DID And RK) and it lets you choose bike specific applications and the sprockets you want and also the chain you want. good luck!

Old 06-28-2012, 12:05 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by davedude44
...Im content with my bike but would enjoy some extra zip.
-1/+2

I really am not sure at all what to do with the chain. Alot of people go to the 520 but i dont want to get something that is going to wear exceedingly fast and need replaced again soon.
Go w/ the steel sprockets & 525 OEM chain size. They'll last longer. The weight savings (rotating mass) of the 520 vs the quicker wear of the aluminum sprocket isn't all that beneficial when it comes to street applications.

Since you're primarily going to be using your bike on the street w/ the occasional track day, the steel sprockets w/ OEM 525 chain size will provide you w/ the most wear, durability, & longevity.

Also curious what people get out of chain and sprockets mileage wise assuming keeping lubed and adjusted properly.
There is no magical number. Its going to be dif for everyone depending on their type of riding, riding environment, etc etc etc.

Any info on brands or where to buy would be good too.
I've been recommending sprocketcenter for quite awhile. They have the selection, quality, & great pricing.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:22 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

13k is bad mileage for a chain. My stock 525 and RK 520's have all lasted around 20K and none have stretched out, they all get bad links eventually. This is with wheelies and trackdays.....