New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

my new battery dies while riding...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 11:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my new battery dies while riding...

im new to owning a bike... i have a 1999 cbr f4i and i recently bought it.. a few weeks after the battery died and couldnt hold a charge after charging it... bought a new one and a few months after the battery weakens.. i once died out on the road while riding.. crazy moment.. and a few minutes before it died, i noticed the temperature rising to HOT too.... what the hell is wrong with the bike all of a sudden... please help me out guys.. thanks..

datJUANguy

Old 11-08-2007, 11:06 AM
Default RE: my new battery dies while riding...

forgot to mention...

i would take my new batt out and charge it.. it would then start my bike again and lets say 20 min after the temperature will rise to H again and bike will power down.. then bike wouldnt wanna start again due to a weak battery... i was told it could be my stator.. but idk... help pls... thanks

Old 11-08-2007, 12:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

General consensus from other posts is it's probably your voltage regulator/rectifier (Located in the rear tail section on the left side for early F4i's (Not sure on an F4 though)

The temp reading could be voltage dependant - as the volts drop, it may read overheating, even though it is not???... - You checked the obvious first right? - IE Coolant bottle is full, radiator is full, no leaks, no air in system. - If so, it may be a stuck thermostat.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:32 AM

coolant bottle is on the line but noticed a few coolant drips every once in a while... bike would overheat still... im not quite sure how to check if there is air in the system.. but the rest of the obvious symptoms seem ok, aside from the drips of the coolant.

what im concerned mostly about is the whole battery not holding a charge when the bike is on...it acts like a car with a bad alternator.. this is what would happen..when i take off (and my bike isbeginning tooverheat), i bog out big time as if the bike is gonna die.. then i'd take off and ride.. this would last for a good 5 min after the bike begins to overheat.. then finallywhen id take off from a stop, it bogs out even harder and then dies... once i was rolling 50 mph then it bogged out and died while i was rolling...

but i will check on the voltage regulator/rectifier too.. thanks mycvil

Old 11-14-2007, 11:12 PM

Hello & Welcome!!

Any updates?