F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

06 F4i dies while riding it?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 06:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 F4i dies while riding it?!?!

Ok here’s the deal. I recently installed a new pipe, a PC (non-usb) and some flush mounts. While I installed the flush mounts I had my bike on a bunch to check if I was wiring the signals right and so on. So after I get them all installed my batteries is dead. So I jump it with my car and it fires right up. I drive around and stop at my friend’s house to show him my new flushes and pipe. SO I start it rev it a few times then shut it off. Then I go to start it and the battery is dead. He had no cables so I had to bump it. That was a week ago. My bike was running and starting fine ever since. Now just today I am riding around, and I go to my friend’s house again. I see him outside so I rev my bike to about 12k. Then I pull into his drive way. About 30 min later when I come out I put all my gear on and turn the key....and nothing. The cluster does not even light up or anything. The needle does not go up then down...nothing happens. But when I take the key from the "run" position to the "off" position the needle moves and the clock comes back on. So we jump it and it fires right up. Then I put the seat back on and gear up and right as I sit on the seat it just dies again! So we jump it again and keep giving it a lil gas so it won’t die....I just needed to make it home. SO I take off fast (bike is warm already, live in Vegas) and at about 5k the bike accels then backs off, then accels then backs off, all the while I am being steady on the throttle. So I’m driving home and then my bike completely shuts off! The cluster goes dark and everything shuts off! I was cruzing at around 40 and so I pull the clutch in a bump it again to get it going, again I really need to make it home. SO it does this about 4 more times!! And I am really wondering why it does this! I finally get home and I shut it off, and then turn the key and nothing, the cluster is still dark. SO I check all the fuses just to make sure and they are all ok. I pull the battery out and I now have it at the dealer charging and it should be done, if it’s still good, tomorrow sometime.
OK sorry for the long post, but I and curious is this has happened to anyone before. I am wondering if because I may have wired the flush mounts wrong that could have anything to do with it. But what I really think is wring is that the PC is affecting my bike somehow. I rode about 200 miles with the PC on and no problems. I am hoping that the batteries are just really dead and thatit is causing the bike to randomly shut off...but I really don’t know.I am just frustrated right now because I just bought this bike 3 months ago lol. If anyone has any insight or advice please let me know,and thanks for reading my story!!
-Nate

Old 07-23-2007, 06:57 PM
Default RE: 06 F4i dies while riding it?!?!

Your dealer should be able to hook your bike up and check your whole charging system and battery to see what is wrong.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:59 PM

first u need to stop jumping it from a car, since ur electrics are doing some crazy stuff wouldnt surprise me if u fried something. u really shouldnt rev ur bike that high either, does more damage than good unless ur actually in gear going that high. assuming u wired the mounts correctly that shouldnt really be causing ur prob. sounds to be just ur battery, charge it and let it sit for a day then test it with a multimeter, if it holds the charge then its still good if not then u need a new batt ******do not jump the friggin battery again from the car*****

Old 07-23-2007, 10:11 PM

i had this problem with my F3, which turned out to be therectifier, and in your case,probably both the battery and the rectifiergot fried from jumping the bike with car's battery. hope you get it running good soon, good luck.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No more jumping with the car......bad bad bad!

Old 07-24-2007, 09:32 PM

OK OK i learned my lession! no more car jumps!! lol. Turns out that jumpping it from the car fried the battery from the inside. Not sure excatly whats up with that but tahts what happened. Spent all day today running back and forth from the dealership and home. THemechanic told me that our bikes (hondas)dont charge while idling. And running the highs all the time, i did, and idling in traffic for long periods in time and making short trips run the battery down, and the statordoes not have ehough time to charge. It all is really common sence but i apperentaly had none LOL. Lesson learned. IN the end i got a new yausa (sp) battery and and battery trickler. Now my bike runs A-OK and im back in action!! YAY. THanks for all the help guys and for sculding me on jumpping lol.
Thanks a ton!
-Nate