General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When your battery dies...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 08:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When your battery dies...?

Two friends of mine who we were riding with yesterday (both CBR owners) wanted me to ask you guys a question. What do you do when you are away from home and your battery dies? Do you get it towed? Or do you jump it? IF you jump it, what do you use? Alligator clip jumper cables or something else? Any and all answers will be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 09-18-2011, 09:05 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jumper cables just like you would a car. Just make sure you don't have the car running.

Another option is bump starting it. 2nd gear is best.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:10 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

+1 ....Administrator Kilgoretrout nailed it !

Old 09-19-2011, 05:08 AM

Administrator answered you question, but why did the battery die? Sounds like it wasn't being charged or something drained the life out of it, because normally riding the bike would keep the battery topped up. Did your friend(s) change the battery now for a new one? If so, check the charging system to see if it is up to scratch.

Originally Posted by TechGirl1414
Two friends of mine who we were riding with yesterday (both CBR owners) wanted me to ask you guys a question. What do you do when you are away from home and your battery dies? Do you get it towed? Or do you jump it? IF you jump it, what do you use? Alligator clip jumper cables or something else? Any and all answers will be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 09-19-2011, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by highwaypatrol
Administrator answered you question, but why did the battery die? Sounds like it wasn't being charged or something drained the life out of it, because normally riding the bike would keep the battery topped up. Did your friend(s) change the battery now for a new one? If so, check the charging system to see if it is up to scratch.
My battery didn't die, this is a hypothetical question, because my friends at working on getting a patent in something . What if the battery is not easily accessible?

Old 09-19-2011, 06:13 AM

Are* and on* my mobile site won't let me edit.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:35 AM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2 feet and a heartbeat for me.

A hill helps also

Old 09-19-2011, 12:46 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've personally never jump a motorcycle (dead battery) with a car using jump cable. I don't know if there maybe something not right about it? Of course it will work but it's not guaranteed if it won't mess up you electrical....car idling voltage maybe a very strong surge for a motorcycle. I would not go thru the hassle of removing the cbr seat, call a friend with jump cable. Too much work, I guess. Just hop on CBR, put key into ignition, turn it on, hold the clutch lever, put into 1st or 2nd
gear, give it a push down a
driveway slope, or a friend give up a push on flat pavement, at about walking speed, let the clutch go. Don't give gas or else you may flood the sparks...give gas when fire up...Should start right up!!!!

Old 09-19-2011, 05:31 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've heard jumping off a running car is dangerous. (Electically speaking, of course.
We all know it's dangerous jumping from a moving vehical! lol).

If you get one of the cigeratte lighter jumper setups, you could attach a battery-
tender connector on one side. That would make it easy to carry/use. You do have a battery tender, right? Then all you would have to do for a jump...plug into the car's
cigarette/auxilery power outlet on one end and the other to the battery dongle.

Light weight, compact, easy to carry during the cold season. ;-)

Ern

Old 09-19-2011, 05:36 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ahhh...Ern is THE man! +1

Quick Reply: When your battery dies...?