New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Loved bikes all my life, never riden, just got a CBR1000F

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Loved bikes all my life, never riden, just got a CBR1000F

Hi Everyone,

Im very new to motorbikes, i've never riden before even though i've loved bikes for years. I've recently got a CBR1000F and i love it, obviously i can't ride it yet.

I suppose my main question is, would it be silly of me to get a 1000cc as my first bike? I got this bike because i practically had it given to me. ALso i am loving this forum so much information, it's great! One question though, a lot of the posts won't let me view pictures even though i am logged in, it keeps saying my account might not have the privileges required to view pictures. I click to go to my profile and it just says the same thing, won't allow me to view my profile. Is there something i need to do so i can view things properly?

Cheers all, pic of my bike attached.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:10 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

welcome to CBRF

thats one clean bike.... 1000 can be a bit too big bike for the first time rider.... but its not imposible, you just have to keep in mind (all the time) that you are sitting on extreme amount of power. dont give it as much gass and youll be fine, just take things slow and learn to control the beast.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:42 PM

dang, thats a clean bike mang. as long as you understand and respect the power that your bike has you should be fine. yes i would have recommended a smaller bike but not everyone is the same. take it easy for awhile and you'll do fine. also an MSF course does a lot of good as well. keep us updated on how you and your bike are doing.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:10 AM

Cheers guys, i will be doing exactly that, taking it slow all through my learning and respecting just how much power this bike has.

I live in the UK so there isn't a MSF course that i can do although a local training school to me does a free rider assessment where they take you through all sorts of skills and manoeuvres on a bike for an hour to assess how you are on a bike and to recommend the next step in your training.

The first step after that will be to complete a CBT course which is compulsory basic training, before you can start to learn to ride a bike. So i feel comfortable that there is a lot of structured training required on my steps towards passing my bike license. The only thing i cant do is to gain experience on a big bike until i have passed my test.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:27 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's a great looking bike! Congrats.

No, its isn't silly w/ that as your first bike as long as you are mature about understanding the bikes abilities & your limitations. A healthy dose of respect for both will highly benefit you. Just grow into the bike & become one w/ it on a gradual basis.

It already sounds like you've assessed the above & desire to take training course to enhance those things. Kudos!

Good to have you w/ us!

Old 12-06-2011, 04:36 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

That is one very pretty old bike Matt, you should wander on over to the Hurricane section and get prepared to have the p1ss taken out of you.

Interesting choice for a first bike, just remember that the traction control on these old girls uses a very primitive, but clever, interface between your brain and your right wrist. It's not always reliable, but if you let your brain override your wrist it generally works out OK.

I owned a 900 Kwaka over thirty years ago and I still do things that; in retrospect, I realize probably weren't very clever.

Last edited by kiwi TK; 12-06-2011 at 05:05 AM.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:49 AM

Thanks for your comments, and yes whilst i do realise this is a very big, heavy and powerful bike to have as a first bike i didn't set out to get a big bike like this it just kinda happened, as i said above it was pretty much given to me so i wasn't going to refuse!

I will be taking plenty of training before i can ride this bike and even then i will take it very cautiously to get used to the bike until i feel comfortable.