F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

all those that have riden an RR and f4i

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 03:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default all those that have riden an RR and f4i

so my buddy bought an 05 RR a couple months ago. i've had my f4i for about 2 with a total of 8-9 hundred miles on it. i gave his bike a test spin and that monster was a lot smoother than my ride. his has 9 K miles, while mine, a 2001, only has 1 K miles. Are the RR's transmissiona lot different that the f4i's. I'm a little jerkey with my bike, but i couldn't make the RR jerk even with the same shift patterns that i've been using. kindof made me want a RR.is it because hisbike ismore "broken" in? i bought mine with only 500 miles on it.i'm sure it's still going through the break-in process. thanks in advance.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:24 AM
Default RE: all those that have riden an RR and f4i

Wow a 2001 with only 500 miles when you bought it?!?!?! That's amazing. Unless you bought it back in 2001 but haven't used it much? If that's the case, then no wonder your bike isn't shifting as well, you need re-lube everything basically.

If you bought it recently with 500 miles, then wow good buy. But that may also mean it may have not been used much and a bike not being used for months is causing more harm than good.

That's the only reasons I can think of why your bike isn't shifting as good. Make sure you change the oil (when I forget to change my oil when it needs to be changed and I go several thousands of miles more, I noticed changing the oil helps shifting A LOT), re-lube/oil everything that has moving parts, etc.

Although the RR has newer features n stuff, it's not that new compared to the 2001 f4i's and shouldn't make such a difference in shifting. It may be better, but by the way you describe it, it seems the difference is huge.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:36 AM
Banned

I've ridden the 1000RR and my F4i and kinda know what you are thinking.

What you are experiencing may not be the tranny but the fuel injection. The RR has a smoother fuel delivery and a more sophisticated fuel management system. The F4i is a first generation system and is kinda touchy when you are at the on/off threshold. It almost feels like a loose chain. I've had other people ride my bike and they think the chain is loose, if I ride two-up I still get the rough ugly shifts because I am taking it easy.

The F4i requires fast hands and feet to be smooth and you will slowly modify your style to avoid the on/off situation it is worse with the 1-2 upshift or if you shift slowly with alot of clutch.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:49 AM
Official Welcome Crew Junkie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^+1
The RR has a "shower type" injector set-up with 2 more injectors in front of the air box which helps throttle response.
So yeah theRR is smoother than the F4i.
I have ridden my friends '06 RR and noticed the same thing.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:32 AM

The RR shower injectors have nothing to do with shifting, they don't even engage until upper RPMs. Unless you are doing a good bit of track riding you will be using the same port injectors as the F4i. The RR is a more modern bike, yes there are going to be upgrades. A 2001 with 500 miles onit, you've probably got oxidization(rust) on your drive gears. If oil isn't moved it pools and leaves areas dry.

To solve the jerking get a power commander and have it set up on a dyno. It takes the jekyness out of the throttle, and its a cheaper way to go than a new bike (it will cost between $500 and $800 to buy the unit and have it set up properly).

Old 08-28-2007, 10:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my f4i shifts as smooth as butter, and throttle isn't jerky either.
maybe it's the rider and experience?!?!

2001 with 500 miles on it...did the seals ever break in properly or at all?

Old 08-28-2007, 12:30 PM

I agree with Tahoe. I have an '05 f4i (bought new - now with 12,000km) and test rode an '07 RR. I found the shifting and the throttle almost identical on the 2 bikes. I was able to notice a bit more power from ~3000-5000 rpm's on the RR but otherwise they were quite similar. I actually decided that I liked the F4i more that the RR.

One thing about the RR that I liked was that I was able to get both of my feet flat on the ground. What a difference that makes! Even thought the seat is actually higher than the F4i, the frame is so much narrower that your legs seem 3 inches longer! The riding position also seemed quite comfortable for the 45 minutes I had it, but I'm not sure what it would be like on a long trip.

I read a lot of posts about "jerky throttle response" and "dead spots" on the F4i. Mine has always been smooth as butter. I think lots of posters have older, used bikes with who knows what done to them. The differences between a good F4i and a RR are really quite minimal. And the shifter on an f4i is every bit as "clunky"!

Old 08-28-2007, 02:19 PM

Not to be negative but is it possible someone changed the gauge cluster and the bike really has alot more miles then that?

2001 with 500 miles? wow.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:17 PM

well, i thought a 2001 with 500 miles was fishy also. the original owner bought the bike in late 2001. 2 months after he bought it all his riding buddies crashed, one of them fatally. he stored it in the garage for about 6 months, then got married and not too long after that, had a kid. since 2002, he registered it as Planned Non-operational. seem's too good to be true, but if ya'll saw the bike you would think it was brand stinking new. everything looks spanking new. it would have cost a lot more than i bought it to bring a bike back to the condition i bought it. i did have to replace the fuel pressure regulator,and did the fluid swaps and still is a little rough.whatotherareas should i be looking to lube/change?thanks for the responses.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:54 PM

What did the tires look like? That would be a dead give away.

Quick Reply: all those that have riden an RR and f4i