New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Hey guys! So I decided to join the CBR club :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 12:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Hey guys! So I decided to join the CBR club :)

How's it going, my name's Gary and I'm about to buy my first bike..a 2005 Honda cbr600rr. A lot of my friends who rider recommended that I either get an r6, cbr, or gsxr..but after thinking about it for a while, I decided Honda is probably the way to go, especially since my friend who's a pro in the bike business recommended I go with a cbr since I'm of a shorter stature (only 5'6" roughly), and he said it would be easier for me to ride than the others in his opinion.

Anyway, here's some pics of the bike, I haven't bought it just yet but I plan on it within the next few days. What do you guys think of it? Does it look legit? (I know the pics are of low resolution). Let me know if you can spot anything out of place, because I'm not familiar with the cbr and it's hardware. The only thing about the bike that isn't so great is that it has a "previous salvage" title, indicating that it used to have a salvage title. The guy bought it from an insurance company a couple years ago, for some reason they put a salvage title on it just because it had fairing damage (which he has replaced with new ones). He claims to be a mechanic and restored it, and I talked to him on the phone about it, he seems legitimate in my opinion. He also said that he has the right side mirror and that it was just missing when he had the pictures taken. It has around 11k miles on it. What do you guys think? Thanks

Old 12-03-2011, 12:57 AM
August 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by gsmith524
I decided Honda is probably the way to go,

You are the smart one. lol Bike looks good. Hope you will get it very soon. BTW, welcome to cbrf

Old 12-03-2011, 02:22 AM

First off, Welcome to the forum

Only thing I would do is take a (long time rider, or mechanic) with you and make sure he does a test ride to check out the forks and make sure frame doesn't have dent's or anything of that nature in it.

Also another thing to do, is to check the Nada value of the bike. then take off 33% of that price for the rebuilt title. Thats the loan value the banks will loan on. Take all of that into consideration when you negotiate a buying price for the bike.

EDIT:which I just looked it up, and its around 3,800 loan value. but if the bike is in good shape and you can get it for around 4 or 4,500 you would be coming out ok in my opinion

Last edited by jveach; 12-03-2011 at 02:34 AM.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:08 AM

He wanted 3k for it originally but I talked him down to $2500, hopefully when I get the bike it's in as good condition as he says it is lol. He needs to sell it asap and is in a bind which is why he priced it so low..seems like a pretty sweet deal to me

Old 12-03-2011, 12:24 PM

I don't know tons about bikes since I just got mine, but I brought my friend who knows a lot about them. He told me some things to look for and pointed them out.

1. The fork, make sure it's not leaky around the seals
2. Take it for a test drive and let an experienced rider ride it
3. Make sure the transmission feels like it should
4. ESPECIALLY since you have a salvage title bike in mind, try to get the plastics off and look at all the major frame welds. My friend told me that you want to rub your finger (somewhat hard) up and down over all the welds. If any paint flakes off, it's a sign that the weld has moved and the bike has been crashed. Check as many of these welds as you can!
5. It looks like a race bike to me, especially with the mirror "missing" he has probably converted it back to street legal but while doing so may not of been able to find the mirror? If it is a race bike, there may be a problem he's trying to cover up by selling it so cheap.

Good luck, it is a nice looking bike!

Old 12-03-2011, 01:42 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum Gary!

I agree...the CBR is my favorite choice! ;-)

We get the - buying question/what should I do - here a lot. Ultimately, the decision will rest w/ you. However, you seem to be doing your research, which is excellent. There are some very good recommendations above already.

I recommend asking the seller to meet you at a local Honda shop for a pre-purchase inspection. You'll pay for it & it will benefit both you & the seller. The inspection will let you know if there are any problems that you don't know about & will set your mind at ease for a better informed decision. Typically, the pre-purchase insection costs about $85 but its up to the dealership for individual pricing. That $85 is cheap compared to the total amount you'd pay for the bike w/ possible expensive repair problems down the line.

The "salvage" designation isn't necessarily a negative as long as everyone understands what that means upfront as to value & title designation. One thing to keep in mind is that salvage bikes aren't always able to be fully-insured...that depends on your particular insurance co. Just be sure to research that w/ your insurance co b/f buying.

All that being said... From the pics alone, it looks like a nice bike.

Good luck.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:08 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

welcome to CBRF

the bike looks beautiful. also you have to understand that the plastics alone are so expensive for these bikes that the insurance companies will total the bike just for the plastics. so as everyone said. make sure that it is in good shape under the skin. if it is, it is a great find. dont cross the bike out of your list because of its salvage title. but be cautious.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:14 PM

I woudn't buy a salvage bike anywhere near 33% off. Actually, I wouldn't buy a salvage bike unless it was 66% off.jmho

Old 12-05-2011, 09:00 PM

Just bought the bike today guys!! I'm so excited!! The guy did a test run on it, rode great and sounded AMAZING. This was truly a hell of a deal, I'm so happy about it!!

Old 12-05-2011, 10:42 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats. Did you take those side fairings off when you looked at it? ;-) Hope all is good w/ it. Enjoy!

Quick Reply: Hey guys! So I decided to join the CBR club :)