New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

First 600

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunk
Nice and simple like the U.K. test 35 years ago. Now it’s a minefield, no wonder our Motorcycle sales are a fraction of what they were in the 1980’s

After riding a 125 when I was 17 and then obsessing about owning a big bike for about 30 years, I did my direct access 6 years ago when I was 47, it took forever and cost a fortune.

I had to do:

CBT
Theory Test
Part One (off road with cones etc.)
Part Two (observed practical road test)

I passed the lot all first time and became the proud owner of a 1996 Ducati 600SS, I was a happy man!

https://www.gov.uk/ride-motorcycle-m...e-requirements
Seems similar to here. Off road with cones and single or twin learner spec bike for the basic handling test which has to be done before applying for the learner license. I had been using my FZR for a while before I did it. GN125 I had for the test felt so slow. Then theory test and that's the learners. L plate, lams bikes up to 660cc with power to weight restrictions, but if you want an I4 sports bike your basically limited to 250cc. Can ride bigger but if you get caught demerits add up.

Next is restricted - basically lose the L plate - still only ride lams bikes, can't be out past 10 pm. Kind of pointless I reckon. I wa good the first year although sometimes home a bit late got warned a few times. Last year I was a student and couldn't afford to get my license/lazy/didn't care so rode all hours with my mrs on the back didn't have any trouble.

Full license ride anything any time with pillions it doesn't matter.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkwind2016
Well done Joe, great feeling when you know you've passed

Think it's only UK and US that use MPH, if it was from Euroland the clocks would be in KPH.
Yeah I think it could be a British import. I'll find out soon.

Old 02-22-2018, 02:11 PM

Vin shows it is #260 and marked SE. Keys even have original yellow and purple tags. Although it states original country is Japan - where these were first made - this bike is an import.

I know its just fairings and it isn't seen as a "real" collectors bike, I know these aren't the most sought after, even though in the day the were top of the class and even today you can see why. I don't have some elitist complex - well I hope it doesn't come across that way lol. For me - I just like having something different. I hate stock - its too damn boring for me. I like something worthy of a second glance. To provoke thought. And to know its a genuine semi-vintage race scheme is to me icing on the cake and I'm just celebrating that - stuff like that is right up my alley.

For me this bike build is about fun, making a stand out machine, which can commute when I want, stand up to riding with the guys at an increased pace and yet can comfortably cruise around with my wife. A 100 hp (well 90 @ wheel) Sports bike that is smooth comfortable and forgiving is everything I want and need and will do it without a problem.

No one has hated or raged at me. I figured I'd just share the angle I'm looking at with the bike.