New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

F2 Newb in Beantown!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 10:48 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F2 Newb in Beantown!

Hello from Boston!...just a quick introduction... just got a 93 CBR 600 F2 with only 20k miles! This will be my first foray into motorcycles.

I was looking into the new Ninja 250s but they are so popular that finding one used for less than 3 g's was not going to happen. So I bought this baby for $2500.. which leaves me some money left over for good gear.

anyway... on to the pics... as soon as my friend got her home for me, the next morning I washed and waxed her. I have to say... the rims are a serious bitch to get all the way clean! I guess I have to go to the power-washer place to get all that grim out of the rim crevasses. Any tips for that..?

IMG_2140.jpg?t=1240284853
IMG_2141.jpg?t=1240284875
IMG_2143.jpg?t=1240284919
IMG_2144.jpg?t=1240284941

as you can tell... shes been slid once or twice but mostly just plastics damage and a little scrape on the clutch cover and some on the end of handlebar. Which my friend, who has way more experience in motorcycles than I, said is actually a good thing. He said that it won't hurt as bad when I lay her down for the first time since shes already a little scraped up..lol...

I hope to prove him wrong! I'm signed up for the MSF class and can't wait to get out there and ride but I'm definitely going to take it slow and get alot of parking lot practice in and no riding in the rain or on the highways for the first month or two... I'm 27 now and while I'm pretty excited, I'm well aware of the danger these puppies can get you in very fast.

One thing I do have a question about.... the roads here in Boston are crazy ****ty!! like as in pot-hole central... how do you riders in the northeast handle it!? I think thats my biggest fear heading out for the roads... hitting a huge crater and sending me flying while crushing my new baby! Yikes!

While I know I won't be riding in a group anytime soon.. I look forward to the time when I will and hopefully join some of you members here!.

Best,

Kaz

Old 04-21-2009, 12:13 AM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello flyer_kaz, that's a nice looking bike and I think it's a great choice for a starter. Your friend is right about the scratches. Ride it for a while and once you get more experience/confidence, maybe give it some new paint; even though it's not bad looking at all.
You've got your head on straight for sure. Thinking about gear and taking the MSF is the way to go. Nothing worth doing is worth doing it half-assed.
About them potholes, here in CO we have somewhat of a similar hazard. They tend to pour sand/gravel everywhere during Winter months. It'll make you loose your grip real quick. With a bike, you have to constantly be aware of the road surface; all the time! That's the only thing you can do...
Welcome to the forum & stay safe

BTW, here's some good reading: LINK

Old 04-21-2009, 02:57 PM
Registered Users

Welcome. Nice looking bike you purchased. Good luck with it. You will enjoy the MSF course. Take your time and have fun.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Incognito
Hello flyer_kaz, that's a nice looking bike and I think it's a great choice for a starter. Your friend is right about the scratches. Ride it for a while and once you get more experience/confidence, maybe give it some new paint; even though it's not bad looking at all.
You've got your head on straight for sure. Thinking about gear and taking the MSF is the way to go. Nothing worth doing is worth doing it half-assed.
About them potholes, here in CO we have somewhat of a similar hazard. They tend to pour sand/gravel everywhere during Winter months. It'll make you loose your grip real quick. With a bike, you have to constantly be aware of the road surface; all the time! That's the only thing you can do...
Welcome to the forum & stay safe

BTW, here's some good reading: LINK
awesome... that was a great read in the link...good stuff to be aware of and think about before going out.

I know the MSF course will have me practice alot of basic maneuvers and whatnot... but can anyone think of some exercises that are good to know and practice that they don't necessarily teach at the MSF..?

Thanks for the warm welcome and helpful tips... I know I'll be asking a ton more questions in the future.

Kaz

Old 04-22-2009, 10:12 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice! I love my f2. I got mine at the same price with 15k miles. I started riding it last week (with gear of course). Your gonna love it.