New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Newb with newb tires... URGENT!

Old 05-11-2011, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb with newb tires... URGENT!

So I already posted my intro, but I just had tires installed (Michellin 2CT's) at the shop down the street from my work. I am walking there at 3pm (central) to pick up the bike. I'm sort of nervous because of the break in period with the tires. I've heard plenty of stories of people dropping their bikes half a block down the street after installing new tires from the slippery compound used to break the tire free from the mold.

Any tips or suggestions to break them in quickly? I was told to go into and open parking lot and just ride around for 30 min weaving gently and eventually leaning harder. My bike has NEVER been dropped and it would be very very much appreciated if I could get any tips or suggestions before I ride her home.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:40 PM

just put a new front tire on mine. had no problems. just took it easy for awhile and didn't lean it too much. then gradually leaned more and more.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:32 PM

It's really not as bad as some people make it sound, it's not like the tires are coated in motor oil or anything . Ride around as you normally would, just don't go railing turns and dragging knees for the first couple hundred miles.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:30 PM

im with dammit on this one man, just be mindfull of the new tires when you ride and dont go screaming round corners for a while. its not as bad as you think and you dont have to ride upright like someone who has never ridden before.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:51 PM

I just put a front tire on yesterday. And the rear tire last Saturday. The rear tire I couldn't tell other then it having better grip but I could tell the new front tire was a little slick. Do what others tell you an take it easy. Don't get to far into leans for sure

Old 05-11-2011, 05:21 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

never had new tires on my bike yet, but it seems like you have to feel what they can do at first. and take it slow for a bit.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:56 PM

The slippery "mold release" is an old wives tale. Not used on modern tires. The issue with new tires is that their profile is different (not worn), and what gets most people: it's not that they are slick, it's that they have no grip. There is a difference - you need to heat them up to get them to grip well the first time; do that by accelerating and stopping. On an average street bike with average street riding, that takes 20+ miles or so to get them "broke in."

Also make sure the pressures are set correctly.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by randyjoy
The slippery "mold release" is an old wives tale. Not used on modern tires. The issue with new tires is that their profile is different (not worn), and what gets most people: it's not that they are slick, it's that they have no grip. There is a difference - you need to heat them up to get them to grip well the first time; do that by accelerating and stopping. On an average street bike with average street riding, that takes 20+ miles or so to get them "broke in."

Also make sure the pressures are set correctly.
makes sense to me. I put about 60 miles on it yesterday and today and it doesn't feel like when I first put in on.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:31 PM

Seems about right to me. Right as I pulled out of the shop I noticed a HUGE difference. My old tires (the guy I bought the bike from had been using) were flat at the tip and no tread had been lost on the sides. I feel as if I am doing the same thing. I would like to start leaning more and be able to enjoy my bike even more, but on the express way and even turns going a little slower I just can't bring myself to lean the bike enough to even scuff the sides of the tires. Is this just something I have to get over or is there a technique? (probably both!)

Old 05-12-2011, 05:06 PM

the way i learned is to push the handle bars, as in if you want to turn left, you push on the bars with your left hand a little and shift your bum to the left a little to get your body weight over, at the same time you should push down slightly with the opposite foot on your peg, in this case your right foot and you should be able to feel some resistance. you dont have to do this at a fast speed, just slow is fine, i used round-abouts and slow corners for practice. once you get used to that and feel comfortable you can then go a little faster and try including the rear brake in your turns, when in a turn and you want more lean angle, ride your rear brake just a touch and it will slow you down gently but at the same time, which ever way your leaning it will pull your bike over in that direction while your still on the gas around the corner, as i read in a mag once, using the rear brake kind of shortens the bike in a way and makes it easier to lean, using the front brake makes the bike longer and thats why it tries to stand itself up or pull up when your leaning it a little then hit the front brake. this is something i leaned by reading bike mags and listening to other peoples stories.

hope this helps you out C1B1R, and is not too confusing. just try it little by little and you will get there.

Micko

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Newb with newb tires... URGENT!